Jayachamaraja Odeyar (Mysore Maharajah) - Part II

Carnatic composers (other than performing vidwans)
Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

cmlover wrote:RC
They are fascinating! While you are hunting for more pl fill in some historical details as well.

I am curious to know what prompted him to 'gift' the Kingdom of Mysore to the Indian Union on the eve of the Independence! Were there hot debates in the Kingdom during that time.

Was JC ever been considered for the award of Bharata Ratna for this voluntary act of sacrifice?
CML,

Probably I can write pages on this subject but this may not be the right place! Suffice to say that paramountacy lapsed on July 18, 1947 and all Indian Rulers became sovereign Rulers, unlike the British Ruled India which only became a dominion of GB on August 15, 1947. Ironically this naked truth did not dawn on the Populace of the states in the Euphoria. But as most of the Indian states were land locked with the dominion they did not have any choice. You know very well how a maritime state like Travancore tried to remain independent and how congress sponsored violence made an attempt on Sir CPI. Even at Mysore the congressmen unleashed violence and started Mysore Chalo agitation to savor direct power despite Maharaja acceding to the Indian Dominion much before August 15, 1947.

As for as Maharaja not getting any of the Padma awards, I am not aware if any offers were made and knowing him he would not have accepted any as he was too proud. Any way he was not MGR or Rajiv Gandhi to get one ! But there were strong rumours of him being offered the post of VP after Dr. S.R. He was very friendly with Mrs. G and she used address him as Jaya and always stayed as his guest when in bangalore. But the abolition of Privy purse and his illness ( cancer of the knees and diabetic ), death of his mother followed by his eldest daughter etc must have made him vary of any onerous responsibilty. He in fact relinquished the Governor of Madras post before the term ended. Just to answer another question earlier, he succombed to his debilitating illness. After prolonged treatment in US and germany he rturned to India in August 1974 and just three day before his death went to sringeri and had gana homa and told them it would be his last visit ! He was also sufferring from pnemonia at that time he died of heart attack on Sept 23, 1974 at his Bangalore Palace alone as there were other family and personal agonies of his own making. He in deed died a sad and disenchanted soul !

Sorry friends for this digress, but as the question was posed, I was left with no alternative. The question itself said that I need not answer if I am embarrassed and I am not an official biographer and nor did I know him when he was alive.
Last edited by Raja Chandra on 12 Sep 2006, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

meena wrote:
The man with jari peta is Vainika Venkatagiriappa.
i can see 2 persons with jari peta, the far right 'fuzzy' vidwan and next to him, one holding an umberalla.
one with light colored long coat and colored jari peta and holding an umbrella

arunk

Post by arunk »

Could that be Musiri next to ARI?

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

Here I post another delectable version of SrI mahAgaNapatim in aThANa. It is by the vINe maestro R.K.Srinivasamurthy. It also has swarakalpane. For those who dont know, he is the elder brother of R.K.Suryanarayana. The year he was awarded the sangeeta kalaratna, he went missing and was never found again :( Much is the loss to the music world. A really wonderful player. This was several years ago.

The particular piece is from the national programme of AIR in 1992. I downloaded this from sangeethapriya. Enjoy it.

http://rapidshare.de/files/32786847/SrI ... aThANa.mp3

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

drshrikaanth wrote:The year he was awarded the sangeeta kalaratna, he went missing and was never found again :( Much is the loss to the music world. A really wonderful player. This was several years ago.
Oh my :( I did not know this bit of information

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Quite some time backm I had posted an artilce about the curse on wodeyars in this thread. One can read that article also at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wodeyar.

But an independent reserach by another source is now available on video

www.archaeologychannel.org

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks RC for obliging!
It is never out-of-place to discuss the life of JC now that we are nearing the completion of the discussion on his kritis. Were it not for DRS many of us would never have realized the scholarship of this great composer. Nor would we have known about his sterling qualities or about his dynasty were it not for your historical snippets. No wonder he was not awarded Bharata Ratna. Neither was Gandhiji himself and hence he is in great company!

Do you have any recordings of his compositions (?) in WM just to get a feel? Did he compose any in HM as well?

Please continue to post the rare historical pictures! Is there a royal archive open to the public?

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

I was wondering, if we could collate all the photos and snippets we have here, could that not be appended to the wiki article? That way, it'll be available for all.. Of course, audio and krithis, we can't do anything about that...

Ninja

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks RC! Not simply star-studded but content-wise too it waa apparently filled with Music that mattered! It will be nice to get an audio/video if possible!

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

cmlover wrote:Please continue to post the rare historical pictures! Is there a royal archive open to the public?
See below a rare picture of HH with Jagadguru Sri Sri Vidyathirtha Mahaswamigal of Sringeri Sharada Shrine.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Fine picture

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Please post dates too if you have available. I assume this picture in the 50's.

meena

Post by meena »

Just curious, sringeri swamy has shades ?

sudarshan

Post by sudarshan »

RajaChandra, excellent picture. Very few qualified people have permission to enter the Garbagruham of Sri Saradambal. These people must be qualified priests and have had ShriVidya diksha and above all the permission of the Jagadgurus. The Maharaja standing in such a sanctimonius place itself shows his greatness and the heights he had attained in His sadhana. Yes, Meena, Swamigal wore glasses right from his 20s or 30s. Later, he also had some problems related with his eyes for which he had to wear these shades, but this was only for sometime.

meena

Post by meena »

sudarshan thanks for the info.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

I have started a Tribute to JC at
http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=21725#p21725
Please add your thoughts and continue to discuss the Life and Works of JC in our musical Journey!

If you are rendering these kritis during the festive navaratri season please share your audio so that we can also enjoy the musical treat. Needless to state that the highest tribute to a vaggeyakara is the rendering of his kritis!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Great CML,

Very nice composition about a composer king!

I just completed compiling all the compositions, meaning , rAga lakshanas of Odeyar kritis posted by DRS (dinosaur effort indeed)and started to enjoy them.
Thanks to all who participated in this thread and brought out the beautiful compositions of Odeyar.
Last edited by Suji Ram on 16 Sep 2006, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

Sri Sriram Venkatakrishnan has written about Maharaja Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar in connection with Maharaja's Death Anniversary in this Friday Review Section of The Hindu Madras Edition.

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/09/22/stor ... 050300.htm

meena

Post by meena »

Ksriemch
thanks, Sriram Venkatakrishnan is non other then Sriram V of 'yesteryear sangeetham'.

meena

Post by meena »

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Meena! Let the show begin!
And thanks to all the folks who have shared the gret Music of JC which will keep us busy during the Puja season!
Especially to you DRS for painstakingly interpreting the kritis as well as the Music!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Thanks Meena for bringing the Mysore samachar.
Mysore is my home too now. Visiting the palace after reading this thread certainly will be a new experience when I visit next time.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

It is nice to note an awakening of interest on JC and perhaps we have contributed in a small way.
The very next day ( after his death), an announcement was made in The Hindu that a proposal to purchase the Bangalore City Palace was under Government's consideration. The proposal was for "building a Disney Land type project which people could be impressed with." A new order had taken over.
I was shocked to see such a callous action by the then Govt. It shows the depth to which politicians can sink once they get the power in their hands.
power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely
is a very true dictum.

Now on the eve of his 32 anniversary of his demise let us think kindly of this raja^RiShi who cared for his people and enriched our CM and promoted so many of our artistes and hence his true memorial is indeed in our hearts!

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

ksrimech wrote:Sri Sriram Venkatakrishnan has written about Maharaja Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar in connection with Maharaja's Death Anniversary in this Friday Review Section of The Hindu Madras Edition.

http://www.hindu.com/fr/2006/09/22/stor ... 050300.htm
This story contains some errors. I am correcting them for setting the record straight!

1. In 1938, ARI was elected as the president of the Chennai Music Conference. (We have discussed this earlier and the full text of the yuvaraja's address was also posted).
2. Yuvaraja dies on 11-3-1940.
3. Maharaja KRW IV died on 3-8-1940.
4. Maharaka JCRW ascended the throne on 8-9-1940.
5. Maharaja JCRW signed the Instrument of Accession on 9-8-1947 and was accepted by the dominion govt. on 16-8-1947.

It was nice of Hindu and Mr. Sriram to remember the Maharaja on his death anniversary.

On the his 25Th death Anniversary in 1999, I requested a friend who was in the Hoarding Business to sponsor a Hoarding with the Maharaja’s photo and a few words of remembrance in it. It remained there for a month are so. Yet, none of the newspapers took notice of it nor wrote about the Anniversary. This comes as a pleasant surprise!

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

cmlover wrote:It is nice to note an awakening of interest on JC and perhaps we have contributed in a small way.
The very next day ( after his death), an announcement was made in The Hindu that a proposal to purchase the Bangalore City Palace was under Government's consideration. The proposal was for "building a Disney Land type project which people could be impressed with." A new order had taken over.
I was shocked to see such a callous action by the then Govt. It shows the depth to which politicians can sink once they get the power in their hands.
power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely
is a very true dictum.

Now on the eve of his 32 anniversary of his demise let us think kindly of this raja^RiShi who cared for his people and enriched our CM and promoted so many of our artistes and hence his true memorial is indeed in our hearts!
CML, this is not the full story. On 28 sept 1974, the Govt. passed an order and took over the control of all the Temples of the Palace including the Chamundi Hill and The Temples built by JCRW in Mysore City and all the Temples inside the Mysore Palace premises.

It appears the family did not even know about for a long time.

The case filed by SDNRW is still pending in the HC.

In 1996 and 1997 the Govt. further enacted a special Act to acquire both Palaces at BAngalore and Mysore for a Paltry amount of 11 and 32 crore. Just for the record Bangalore Palace alone by a conservative market value today amounts to around 10000 crores. Cases are still pending in SC and HC.

It is a gross human rights violation. Many a times i wonder, whether the treatment meted out to Russian Czars may have been more humane !

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Sometimes we wonder whether the price in blood and sacrifices we have paid to establish a 'corrupt' oligarchy inpower is worth it!

Gandhiji should have lived to see his vision of 'Rama rAjya' having turned into 'vAnara rAjya' !

arasi

Post by arasi »

kurangenRAl perumaiyanRO?
kuranguththanam maTTUm koLAdu
koDum vinai ARRum tiRanum koNDA
manida vargaththai ninaindAl!
(vargamA, vakramA?)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

It is more like
'kura^Ngin kayyil poomAlai'
( a lovely garland in the hands of a monkey!)

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

meena

Post by meena »

heres an article abt Sree Patnam performing @ the Mysore samasthanam
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/fr/2 ... 520600.htm

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

RC
More power to him! I would love to be a e-subscriber! I am also an eager 'booklover'. Pl let me know when more details are available!

Thanks meena for that page from history!

drshrikaanth

Post by drshrikaanth »

An article about our beloved mahArAja in the star of mysore.

http://starofmysore.com/main.asp?type=specialnews

For those who get a blank page, go to www.starofmysore.com and click on feature articles in the right column. It is in today's edition.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

DRS,

i logged in to just do the same !

The above aticle originally appeared in Kannada Magazine SUDHA in 1965 when Mr. E.R.Sethuram was the Editor.

Obviously the author was wrong about the number of daughters!
Last edited by Raja Chandra on 03 Oct 2006, 23:40, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks DRS
Gives a frank insight into the psyche of the great Monarch. He was indeed a philosopher-king (rAja^RiShi) as I had speculated. I wish the interview had covered more of his Musical inclinations. But his life itself is a Sonata the two overriding themes being Vedanta and Love of humanity. He will live on in our memories through his Music and the Royal pomp of the Dashara whose underlying motive is
lOka samastA sukhinO bhavantu|

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Time to put some information at www.rasikas.org/dokuwiki/jayachamaraja-odeyar ;)

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

arasi wrote:As for the picture (taken while he was in the west??), my, isn't he handsome! A cross between Gary Cooper and TS Eliot, it seems. Even in later years when he had gained considerable weight, in close quarters one saw on his face a certain glow...
It is called raja khale by Mr. E.R. Sethuram and read another account of the same interview below:

College and long After
Sri E. R. Sethuram

To write on Dr. Jayachamaraja Wadiyar is difficult indeed. His interests were so varied, his scholarship so vast, his dedication to learning so intense, his attainments so wide - ranging that it would be impossible to bring them into the framework of a single article. Here is only a glimpse of a great personality provided by way of paying a tribute.

Being of the same age, I recall my middle school days, when I was drawn to a very attractive picture of the Prince charming. A picture of smiling cherubic round face with well drawn features, a sparkling pair of eyes, the top covered by a brocade cap adorned many walls of many a house in Old Mysore of those days. These calenders were then a rage. The picture changed to a teenager clad in Scout uniform and as years rolled on a majestic lace turban tied systematically replaced the cap. Still later emerged an young man looking every inch a prince in close collar coat and royal Turban. I remember in my ninth or tenth year when I asked my mother how the Prince could be so beautiful, her short reply was Royal splendour (Raja Khale)

At the college

As luck would have it, it was the year 1934 that we both entered the portals of the Intermediate College in Mysore. Being classmates we used to see each other almost daily. A big room on the first floor at the Southern end was converted into a lounge room for him, with suitable furniture. He would arrive exactly 15 minutes earlier to the opening time along with an aide and Sri C. S. Seshadri, who was his companion in studies. He would alight from the car quietly, climb steps slowly and walk to his room. His gait was unhurried and majestic. If anyone greeted him on the way he would smile back and bow with folded hands.

A chair with a cane seat was kept in the classroom (referred to as Intermediate Hall) in line with the front bench. The royal student would enter the c1ass some minutes after the teacher's entry and would also leave the class a few minutes before the bell.

He always was correct in his dress, punctual in his attendance, majestic in his department, unobtrusive in his movements. He was punctilious in his behavior. He would bow to the gathering every time he either sat or rose. Once or twice he played Tennis in the College grounds. He displayed excellent command of the game, but being of shy disposition, he failed to run far the ball placed slightly farther off, though he could normally get it if he ran. He would blush. Here you could glimpse that part of him, which stayed away from all the din and bustle around. Perhaps it is this part of his self that was given to. Meditation, which produced those profound philosophical works, those magnificent musical compositions and many mare brilliant pieces of creative work. A number of distinguished people who knew him intimately have written about these achievements in this volume, so that it needs no repetition.

It is nearly after a lapse of three decades that I had the good fortune of interviewing him in 1965. It was a memorable evening and is still green in my memory. After 25 years of journalism, I had become the Editor of "Sudha" which started that year. I had thought of doing an attractive feature on Dasara festival for the Dasara Week featuring the central figure around wham the entire festival revolved for ages. Sri Wadiyar was the then Governor of Madras. After a request from me he had accepted to grant me an interview at Bangalore on his way to. Madras from Mysore. I went along with my journalist colleague, Prof. H. S. K., and Photographer Mr. B. S. Achar to the Bangalore Palace with great delight.

To give him an idea of the nature of questions we would ask, we sent him a list of probable questions through Sri. Balaraj, who was his assistant at that time. As he read this list, it naturally gave him an idea that we were bent upon an extensive probe. So he sent word through Sri Balaraj that he would like to ponder aver them and answer at leisure; could we meet him after a few days? Being an extremely sensitive soul he perhaps surmised that a hurried question and answer session with us might give room to some controversy.

But postponement of the interview would have been a disaster. We had to publish the same the very next week. So. We pleaded that the questionnaire was only indicative of the trend of our interview. We added that he would be at liberty to choose only those he liked to answer. We promised even to submit the final write-up and publish only those portions he approved deleting all else.

The interview

He agreed to meet us for a few minutes and we were ushered into a big room. Sri Wadiyar entered the· room after two minutes, greeted us and sat down 'on a chair opposite. This is the only time I have seen him in ordinary dress. He wore loose fitting trousers and a buttoned - up coat, all white. He was without his inevitable turban. Three lines of Vibhuti covered his forehead. He was not very well at that time. His face looked weary, but his eyes had not lost their sparkle. As usual he spoke slowly, in measured tones with a drawl, but his mind was quick and quite alert.

As we started recapitulating our college days he relaxed. At the mention of a few names of our beloved mentors and Professors of the college, he grew almost nostalgic and started enquiring about many more whom he remembered distinctly. First was the name of our beloved Superintendent Sri B. Nagesha Rao, who used to quote all too often from the Githa. He told us about his meeting him in Bellary. He reminiscenced about Principal Rollo, Prof. McIntosh, Pl0f. Thirumalachar, Prof. Krishna Rao and many more. He was very happy that he was in close contact all the time with Prof. D'Souza, Shri Sathyagirinathan, Yamunachar, Ramachandra Rao and many more.

His love of European Music, he traced to his mother's influence. He told us about his vast collection of these discs and his inordinate interest in that sphere. He was proud of his dear uncle, and it was under his loving care and watchful eye that he was initiated into the World of Karnatic Music. He had the blessings of Great masters like Vasudevacharya, Ariyakudi and many more, who were a part and parcel of the Mysore Darbar, and this was his inspiration. He explored the Nadopasana Marga and considered it as a path for reaching Godhead. Despite probing he would not enlarge on the merits of his compositions in Karnatic Music. He was too refined a soul and referred to that " small contribution" as being due to the "Anugraha" of the elders. His respect for the system was too deep and too solid. When I asked him about mixing up of the Northern and Southern styles, he came out against cheap efforts in that direction for the sake of novelty. He felt that both the systems had attained maturity. If one thoughtlessly mixed the two the authentic accent would suffer.

Though he had indicated that the interview was for a few minutes only, he felt relaxed and at ease. He answered many questions at length in chaste English. It was a delight to hear him speaking slowly, clearly with the correct accent that showed the influence of his English tutors at an early age. He spoke to us about the democratic age and its values. His knowledge of the African continent was surprisingly vast. When I used the term "Backward countries"

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you, Raja Chandra and DRS!

indu Today,
rAja rishiya darushanavAyitu The darshan of the rAja rishi
navarAtriya koneyali At the end of navarAtri

A visionary who saw richness in India's cultural diversity and rued our dwelling over the differences. This trait he felt would hamper our growth as a nation of ancient values. A visionary, indeed...

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

His life was Majestic; and the elements
So mix'd in him that Bharat might stand up
And say to all the world, This was a King!

kartik

Post by kartik »

Excellent post Raja Chandra avare!!

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

NEWS:

JAYACHAMARAJA WADIYAR STATUE AT HARDINGE CIRCLE: CM

Mysore, Oct. 6 (MRS)- The Government has decided to install a statue of late Jayachamarajendra Wadiyar, the last Maharaja of Mysore, at Hardinge Circle here.

Addressing the media persons after a high-level meeting at the DC's office in the afternoon today, the Chief Minister H.D. Kumaraswamy said that the Government will take up the project at a cost of Rs. 60 lakh.

He said the issue figured during his meeting with Srikanta Datta Narasimharaja Wadiyar, the scion of Mysore royal family, on Ayudha puja day.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear RC

Thanks for the good news!
I just wanted to ask whether we at this Forum have contributed in any small way towards the renewal of interest on the greatness of JC.?

Is there a statue or picture of him at the Parliament in New Delhi? The (DK) folks in TN usually clamor for installation of the statues of their favourites at Delhi and usually succeed! Aren't there national awareness groups in Karnataka? If any, JC should be honoured nationally, let alone at Mysore!

Are there JC stamps?

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

cmlover wrote:I just wanted to ask whether we at this Forum have contributed in any small way towards the renewal of interest on the greatness of JC.?
It is difficult to say! Though i do get mails from many unknown denizens seeking unusual requests, I am yet to come across any one in person talking about discussion about HH either in the forum or rasikas - Not even among the Vidwan/Vidushi’s!

As for as i know there is bust of HH at Davanagere and a full size statue at Bangalore. As I have never been a member of Vidhana Soudha or Parliament, I do not know about what is there or not there. :D But the answer must be in the negative. Just to state the apathy of the Ruling class, here is an example: At the Banquet hall at Vidhana soudha they have displayed portrait of all the Diwans of Mysore - post 1881 but none of the Maharaja’s. Again as I get down from the Railway station at Mysore, you see a statue of Jagjivan Ram staring at you in what is branded as Heritage City!!

Any way, I am not sure whether installing statue is the right way of honoring!
Last edited by Raja Chandra on 07 Oct 2006, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I am yet to come across any one in person talking about discussion about HH either in the forum or rasikas - Not even among the Vidwan/Vidushi’s!
But what we have not counted is the 'n' number of netizens who have read this (and the old threads) and will continue doing so in the future too. Interest will definitely pick up (if it has not already). Among the 36000+ views which this thread alone has received, I think 'atleast' 1000-5000 times would have been by outsiders/non-participants.

Raja Chandra

Post by Raja Chandra »

Dear Chembai,

I apologize if my post created an unintended expression of thought in your mind. It was a response to a specific question by CML. I am essentially a recluse and hardly know any one among the connoisseurs! May be I am having more friends now among the netizens then I ever had in real life!

Sorry once again for my crass comment!

Regards

raja

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Dear RC
Don't feel bad at all! Your response did not ruffle any feathers nor did Chembai mean to counter your observations. The object of my query was to find out whether there was any chatter in the news media or write-ups (since we have no means of knowing the happenings locally) regarding the interest stirred up in the cyberworld because of these Forum discussions. It is most unlikely any would communicate with you directly on this issue! More than likely most are the silent visitors at this Forum which is what Chembai meant.

Even if there is a marginal increase in the singing of JC's compositions we have achieved our goals!

I would urge DRS to collect and edit our discussions in a book format (eventually) which perhaps may be distributed to educational institutions in SI, supported by the Royal Household if possible

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

RC,
Just like (y)our beloved Maharaja was nothing if not classy in all of his actions, you can not be crass!
So, no need to apologize!
Ravi

arasi

Post by arasi »

Raja Chandra,
It has been a terrific thread! A tremendous amount of DRS's work has gone into it. Others have been very supportive in contributing their bit. Your part in nurturing this topic has been 'royal service'. As CML says it will make a worthy volume on JCW's contribution to music. You are dignified in your dealings. So, while others do not even think of apologizing for being impolite on the forum, you apologize for nothing at all!:)

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

RCji,

Just as you made your observation, I also made mine :), and I agree there was no need to say sorry. So if you thought mine was a retort, it's for me to apologise.

I merely meant that certain things may not be obvious. After all ours is a silent work, and we dont advertise our activities. No offence intended by my earlier post :)