SuryaprakAsh@sAstri hall on Jan 02nd ,2009

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

SuryaprakAsh@sAstri hall on Jan 02nd ,2009
---------------------------------------------------

Accompanied by delhi sundarrAjan - violin , mridangam -H.S.Sudheendra and ghatam - H PrasannA

I went to hear only the waterfall , but also had a drench in the jOG :) . The rtp was in a rarest of the rare jog , I had to jog a lot in my memory , connected almost at many places Jog with thillang and was there a slight egoless Not I (nAttai).

The rAga alApanai was for about 6 full minutes with suryaprakAsh taking a slight hindustani start with carnatic aurA . The water gushed little more in Jog after taking a little swirl with light touches by this brilliant violinist for another 3 minutes .

THe waterfall picked up more turns and then started beautifully to fall in tAnam. tAnam was brilliant in 3 rounds with one of the best returns by sunderrAjan.The tAnam took a descent time of 5 full minutes.

The pallavi line was madura mani's impeccable "uNadhu pAdam thunaiyE OrAru mughanE", something that ganAkaladhra took it to dizzying heights in the more established rtp rAga in keeravAni. SuryaprakAsh took the lines used every phrase to stretch the jOg for additionally 4 minutes .

The jogging pallavi then sprinted and became a dudhsAgar with its 2 additional spectacular trajectory named kAnadA and mOhanam ,then gathered heaviness and jOgged finally for a 6 minute swara downpour.

In short , it was one of the greatest pallavi tried by this vidwan, incidentally I searched my entire 200 GB harddisk with jOg , I get only one 3 minute rendition by TanjAvur S kalyAnarAman that too it was mentioned as jOgkauns , I got other results in jOG ,but that was some violinist by vg jOg.

No body has tried this pallavi in jOg and there is no reference for this vidwan in carnatic, it was his attempt and it was his creation,the rtp was for 32 minutes.

This is what is suryaprakAsh ,one of the most creative and expressive carnatic musician.

Other numbers that mattered was the early submain mA JAnaki (RS N S) with his ringing voice kAmbOdhi was brilliant .The main in kalyAni was also excellent to outstanding .Though in kalyAni the rAga that I personally prefer to pass, he charged without any sag , particularly the neraval and swaras(how many patterns there ) were superb.

Delhi sundarrAjan' violin was all thru brilliant , if suryaprakAsh served a half volley,he returned the half volley in ranjani.If suryaprakAsh hit a full valley he returned full volley in kAmbOdhi. If there was a controlled smash in kalyAni he just did the same . There was lot of top spin in jOG.

Both the percussionist gave a very good support , at few places despite a very brilliant srimushnam nAdham by sudheendra ,the percussionist found it difficult to adjust this maNodharmam of suryaprakAsh.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 02 Jan 2009, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

1. mA jAnaki (RS , N ,S) - kAmBodhi - T
neraval in rAja rAja vara
2.dunmArga (R)- ranjani -T
3. cheta shree bAlakrishna - dwijAvanti -md

4. yOchanA (S)- darbAr -T
5A. nijadAsa varadA(R N S T) - kalyANi - patnam
rAga alApanai for 11 minutes , violin return for 5 minutes
neraval for 6 minutes in the lines "bhujagAdhipa shayana bhUmijAramaNa"
5B. tani

6. RTP in jOg
"Unadhu pAdam thunaiyE Oraru mughaNe"
RAgam in jog for 6 minutes, violin return 3 mins ,tAnam 6 minutes
pallavi 4 minutes and swara rAgamAliga for 13 minutes in jOg+ kAnadA + mOhanam + jOg

7. kaliyuga varadan - brindAvana sArangA - PT
8 .note -shankarAbharanam - HMB
9. pavamAna + Vazhiya senthamizh in madhyamAvati

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

To take Suriaprakesh's most trivial piece of the evening:

I once discussed 'English Note' with Dr John Marr, retired SOAS professor, scholar of music and lecturer in Carnatic Music Theoy at London's Bharatya Vidya Bhavan. I proposed that it should probably be called Irish Note. He didn't much care what it was called, and regarded it as being without any musical merit whatsoever!

Over the last few years, I've come to see what he meant; I am truly fed up with it, and groan to myself whenever an instrumentalist starts to play it.

For the first time in a long time, Suryaprakash made this piece interesting for me! English Note reborn!

The rest of the concert was magnificent, combining high energy (hardly a breath between songs, even) with sensitivity.

That RTP ragam. OK, you guys know I don't have the least technical idea --- but the way the large intervals made the small intervals stand out like glinting jewels... Hmm, better stop there; have no real idea how the effect was created, but there was that exquisite-single-note thing that I associate more with HM.

Amusing Anecdotes of my evening:

One

Recently, on the forum, I made a joke about auto drivers selling concert tickets. Well, perhaps they are already!

A man sitting at a table by the door usually means tickets... so I enquired.

"Rs.100," I was told.

Rs.100 in Sastri hall? I wondered, rather surprised, but he insisted, so I thought, whatever and paid up. When he didn't give me a ticket, I realised that I was dealing with someone who's day job is collecting Rs5 coins for Chennai car-parking.

At the end of the concert, he asked if it was fine, which it certainly was. "Donation?"

--- No! you have my Rs100!

(and yes, of course, it says 'all are welcome' in the newspaper'.)

People.... its a story against me for still being so gullible in Chennai, I'm not complaining: the concert was worth every paise of it. But... Mr GK Foundation, next time I'll set my wife on you!!! :lol:

Two

I must take more care what I write on the internet.

The mridangist greeted me, "You are Mr Nick?"

"You are right, I am".

"Did you fight with any bus drivers today?"

:lol: :lol:

No, I had no fights today: just one superb concert :D

kedharam

Post by kedharam »

There is a RTP in Dwijavanthi available at Sangeethapriya by TNS, in which he has rendered a scintillating ragamalika in rag Jog.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I must listen to this man next year.
For the interested, Jog in Hindusthani style:
http://sangeethamshare.org/sripathy/Aud ... s/N.Rajam/

hariharans

Post by hariharans »

Here is the team

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 29 Nov 2009, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.

perarulalan

Post by perarulalan »

Dear Rajesh,
Not to undermine Suryaprakash., looks like Trichur brothers have sung an RTP in Jog on 21st at Sivagami Pethachi Auditorium.. here is the link from kutcheri buzz..

http://www.kutcheribuzz.com/decseason20 ... orts.asp#7

Just happend to browse Kutcheribuzz and found this info..
Hope to get a recording of both!!

Arulalan

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

perarulalan wrote:Dear Rajesh,
Not to undermine Suryaprakash., looks like Trichur brothers have sung an RTP in Jog on 21st at Sivagami Pethachi Auditorium.. here is the link from kutcheri buzz..

http://www.kutcheribuzz.com/decseason20 ... orts.asp#7

Just happend to browse Kutcheribuzz and found this info..
Hope to get a recording of both!!

Arulalan
Thanks arulalan, you have definitely not undermined anyone, you have only stated a fact . Unfortunately I was not aware of trichur brothers singing that RTP. I have heard only 2 times the rAga jOg in a rAgamAliga swara once by vidwan TNS in a live concert and once in the recording by TNS that KedAram as mentioned.
Last edited by rajeshnat on 03 Jan 2009, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thanks for the photos.

One of the nice things about a Suryaprakash performance is his smile!

cienu

Post by cienu »

Great show Suryaprakash. Would love to hear the RTP if possible :)

vijay

Post by vijay »

Thanks to Kulkarniji's alert for a wonderful evening. I've heard a Jog by Parween but didn't care for it too much although the vilambit was decent. Must pick up some more.

Good to see Delhi Sunderrrajan back in action - he gave a fine response to Suryapakash's jog. HS Sudhindra on the mrudangam, too, generated a thrilling pace from which krithis like Nijadasavarada and Yochana really benefited.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

coolkarni wrote:Nick
Next time you enter Sastri Hall , use the space to the right of the pillar , nearest to the door.
That way , the chap in the chair would have to call you back for a donation. ... ...
I don't begrudge the man his "donation", but, really, it was a bit naughty the way he got it.

Many of the larger halls assume that a foreigner is a tourist, and will only be interested in the 1000/500 seats. Not many try to sell one a ticket for a free concert.

There is one thing that would help me to avoid such treatment --- and I got a good telling off from Balu Raghuraman, my visiting violin friend from London, for having made no progress with learning Tamil!

I only heard of Delhi Sunderrajan's indisposition yesterday evening, after the event. I'm sorry to hear of it, and so glad his back to playing again

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Not many try to sell one a ticket for a free concert.
That is quite funny, Nick. Thanks for sharing it though you got taken. I think you and your wife should take him to task the next time you see him there.

I think it is R.K. Narayan, there is a story about a few foreigners who buy the mud statues of 'gods' that
are usually found in the entrances to villages. They buy a few of those from a bunch of boys who were herding their buffalos nearby.
It is quite a hilarious story and I was reminded of that when I read your story.

kamalamba

Post by kamalamba »

Great to see SuryaPrakash follow up RTP in Miyan-ki-Malhar at Carnatica with another in Jog. Seems like I missed an excellent concert of his.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I think you and your wife should take him to task the next time you see him there.
Maybe he might blush a little one day if he comes to realise that I am not just another tourist --- or perhaps be just disappointed to know that I am not a rich foreigner (I share that disappointment sometimes!) --- but sometimes I just have to admit that the joke is on me, and laugh too.

Not being used to Indian rural life, I might even find myself buying some mud statues one day! I'd better read the book and be prepared.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I looked up the story. It is "A horse and two goats" by RKN. Here is a brief summary of the story line: http://litsum.com/horse-and-two-goats/ ( this of course does not do any justice to the enjoyment of reading the story itself ).

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thank you!

I have read, or perhaps heard, that story, and it was nice to be reminded of it.