Vintage UKS concert with Semmangudi-Chowdiah/MMI-Chowdiah(19

Review the latest concerts you have listened to.
vignesh_Rasika

Post by vignesh_Rasika »

Here's a great vintage UKS -1963/1965!!! that I found on the web! He must have about 30 Years old then!

Here's the URL:

http://chowdaiahandparvati.blogspot.com/ ( On the side bar there is audio which has link )

Semmangudi- Chowdiah- UKS- TH Vinayakaram- 1965 ( 4a to 4e)

Madurai Mani Iyer - Chowdiah- UKS- Sheshagiri Das( Kanjira) - 1963 ( 3a to 3d)

The brilliance of these concerts are that he is playing on Kappi/Thuool Mridangam which few of us in this forum have heard him play. He for the last 20 or 25 years or so has been playing in Kucchi Mridangam. The Nadam of the mridangam is quite amazing and just out of the world for me personally. The alignment of Mridangam nadam with Sruti is a treat to ears. The "weight" with which he has played all the sollus is brilliant. There are two short thanis too. Also, the " Sarvalaghu" patterns is something too good and most enjoyable to hear.

Semmangudi( he must have 55 years old) is at his brilliant best. And MMI's RTP alapnai is great. Chowdiah's accompaniment and the team work of accompanists to lift the concert has to be just heard.

Enjoy!

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Dear Vignesh_Rasika,

Thank you for your truly 'Rasika' like observations. If you bear with us we will at some point stream both the concerts fully (some portions of the tapes being very old call for restoration).

Update: The full 1965 Semmangudi concert has been introduced in the Audio Updates posting item (4). Unfortunately, only with IE and Chrome browsers; no Firefox
Last edited by cpblog on 01 Dec 2009, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

completelyclueless

Post by completelyclueless »

Hello cpblog,

First let me say that your blog is an excellent one. I was wondering if it would be possible if you could put these concerts up for download also?

Thanking you,
CC

sudhakarks

Post by sudhakarks »

cpblog wrote:Dear Vignesh_Rasika,

Thank you for your truly 'Rasika' like observations. If you bear with us we will at some point stream both the concerts fully (some portions of the tapes being very old call for restoration).
Hi cpblog,

If you need assistance in restoration will be happy to do it. I would like to present this to UKS sir as a new year gift.

Sudhakar

cpblog

Post by cpblog »

Sudhakarks, If you could please write to me at cpblog2009@gmail.com with your name address etc. I will try to arrange a copy for you. Best Wishes!

sudhakarks

Post by sudhakarks »

cpblog wrote:Sudhakarks, If you could please write to me at cpblog2009@gmail.com with your name address etc. I will try to arrange a copy for you. Best Wishes!
Thanks cpblog, have mailed you.