RAG: Priya Darsini

Rāga related discussions
hariharan

Post by hariharan »

For the benefit of the rasikas of this forum, I post a link.
http://rapidshare.com/files/162050420/S ... ..MP3.html
Listen the song and get maximum pleasure out of it. The song is a beautiful Abhang, sung in the rag Priyadarshini by Sri. Thanjavoor Thyagarajan.
Rag Priya Darsini is a janya of 27th mela Sarasangi. The aroh and avaro., are SRMDNS - SNDMRS. This rag is popular more through bhajans and occasionally I had heard in Katcheries too. The rag evokes bhakti. The pancham varjya and the stress on the note nishad adds beauty to this rag. Sri. Thanjavoor Thyagarajan had once given a very elaborated raga alapan of this rag for a Narayana teertha tharangam song.
He is expert particularly for this rag. Enjoy

Radhekrishna
Last edited by hariharan on 09 Nov 2008, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Here is the lyrics if some one is interested. Correction welcome.

satgurunEm mAza - - priyadarshini raagam

satgurunEm mAza AsirvAta tILA
haraSaparaLA hrtayIm mAzE

hrutahInjjE pAva kalALa kurusi
Ananta ulhAsIm bOLE mAza

bOLEmaja guru krpAtO karuni
tukhamahNe manIm AnandOm

Take a listen to this and tell me if Priyadarshini is akin to Chandrakauns
http://www.acidplanet.com/components/em ... 590&T=9664
Last edited by VK RAMAN on 09 Nov 2008, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

VKR
That was a nice chandrakauns. But I fail to see any similarity between that and the bhajan version of Priyadarshini!
To get a fuller picture it will be nice to listen to some more kritis. Perhaps Lakshman could help us.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Rag Priyadarshini is totally a different raga and has no similarity to Chandrakouns. This raga is janya of 27th mela sarasangi and has large traces of its parent raga only. The song "Nalai Varum Endru Nambalama" sung by Sri. VKR is rag chandrakouns. Please listen to this song " Kalyana Gopalam KarunAlavAlam" a Narayana Teertha Tharangam sung in the rag Priyadarshini by Sri.Thanjavoor Thyagu Bhagavathar. This was sung during a bhajan specially organised by a Kathakali Artists at Kottakkal where he was specially requested to elaborate this raga. Normally a full raga-alapanam is not a part of any Bhajan performances. But he obliged to their request and brought the in-and-out of this particular raga, as if in a sabha concert. Listen and enjoy
http://rapidshare.com/files/162366313/K ... I.mp3.html

Radhe Krishna.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Please listen to Smt.Rajee Gopalakrishnan rendering a kriti of Ramaraj in raag priyadarsini
The song is 'SannidiyE sadA vendiNen'' http://www.karnatik.com/c3523.shtml The song was composed in just half an hour at the request of my daughter ,Swati(Sivasakti of rasikas.org) who was a disciple of Smt R G
GOBILALITHA

Lakshman

Post by Lakshman »

Songs in priyadarshini:

Karunai ganapatiye ezhai en maru vinai-Adi
Rukminipate shri krishnamurte-Rupaka-Guru Surajananda
Sannadhiye sada vendinen-Adi-K.Ramaraj
Shri vasudeva prabho palaya mam (tar)-Chapu-Narayana Tirtha

Scale: SRMDNS/SNDMRS (mELA 27)

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Kalyana Gopalam KarunAlavAlam - I have heard and sung also but in Kamavardhini. I am sure by listening to the examples given above, I will be able to relate. Thanks to Hariharan and Gopilalitha for your efforts. Here is my rendition of the abhang.
http://www.acidplanet.com/components/em ... 845&T=7394
Last edited by VK RAMAN on 11 Nov 2008, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

Mr Raman. well done. the abhang was rendered nicely. GOBILALITHA

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Very nice VKRaman! A good full-throated rendering and a good chandrakauns too!
Try also Priya Darsini if you can....

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

I am told that Pt .Ravishankarji has created a raag Priyadarsini in hm. can anybody explain the difference between the raag in hm and cm gobilalitha

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

Sanjay sang an RTP in Priyadarshini some time back at PS High School with MA Sundaresan on the violin. Was a nice Pallavi that day - remember that concert for the Tanam in Priyadarshini and a Shlokam in Ahiri after that.
Sathej

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

Hallo everyone (cmdevotee)
Please refere to comments by GoboiLalitha 's post No5 of this thread.
KR

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

I wish to share with other CMDevotes , an episode behind my composition SANNIDHIYE SADA VENDINEN-Priyadharshini. Until Bhuvana (Swati) Balu's(our GBL's daughter- a really talented mucisian indicated to me about this Ragam I had no knowledge about the exact swaroopam of this ragam. This happened during a pratice session during this same day (27.3/2001). When she came to our house for learning some of my compositions She illustrated the scale of this raga and it's nuances.Fascinated by it's beauty of this ragam, she wanted me to compose a kriti. I said I would try now itself.because Ideemed it an ordain from the DIVINE(thru Bhuvana (swati). Instantaneously the tune struck my mind and Bhuvana took down the lyrics and also the tune for it. The Pallavi starts lik this Sa nnidhiyE (SA NI DA NI ) sadA veNDinen SA DA MA DA NI SA DA NI SA) iIt can be noted How the swaraksharam fits in with the saahityam.
And the next line mAtA nin(MAA DAA NI ) SANNIDHIYE AND SO ON........
Anu pallavi Line kaNNImai enakkAkkum kamaktci umayE
EnnamellAm Ezhisai in ba nilayE (sannidhiyE) and so on.
The rest of the kriti can b e heard via http://www.karnatik.com/c3523.shtml The entire kriti was ready within hallf an hour.
Like wise there are several kitis which were spontaneouly composed.which wil be shared with other CMdevotees in duecourse/

Ramaraj
Last edited by vageyakara on 27 Mar 2009, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Respected Sri. Ramraj ji, Namaskarams. Yours super composition "sannidhiye sada vendinen' in rag Priyadarshini, rendered by sweet voiced Smt. Raji Gopalakrishnan has been heard several times as I had the feeling of joy, evoked within. Long live KRji and his value-rich contributions.

The lyric is posted here under. Kindly explain meaning of some of the lines in the song. Thank you, in advance.

raagam: Priyadarshani (27th mela Janya)
Aa: S R2 M1 D1 N3 S-Av: S N3 D1 M1 R2 S
taaLam: aadi , Composer:Sri.K.Ramaraj

Pallavi:
sannidiyE sadA vENDinEn mAtAnin
unniru tAL tozhum unnada varam tanda
anupallavi:
kaNNimai enakkAkum kAmAkshi umaiyE!
eNNamellAm Ezhisai inba nilaiyE
caraNam:
tAmarai malarum nANiDumvadani
tEmadura vaak vilAsinI.
nEmamuDan vundan nAmandanaiyE
yAmanudinam pADum paravasa nilai tanda priyadarshini .

Please guide on the following lines:
Line-4 (Meaning needed)
" eNNamellAm Ezhisai inba nilaiyE "

Line-7 (meaning needed)
" nEmamuDan vundan nAmandanaiyE "
(here she sings namavum tanaiye. Which is correct lyric )

Line-8 (meaning needed)
" yAmanudinam pADum paravasa nilai tanda priyadarshini "
(here she sings 'tandidum' priyadarshini. Which is correct.?

With regards,
Hariharan.
Last edited by hariharan on 27 Mar 2009, 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

mY DEAR hARIHARAN,
Thanks a million for your painstaking efforts to deal in detail my composition" SannidhiyE"Your enthusiasm,beyond any stretch of doubt , is simply amazinmg.
Snd to start with the meaning u have called :for l have the proclivity to illustrate( with all humility) as under
LINE NO.4 eNNmellAm every bit (iota) of my thought ; Ezhisai (The divine music -) iinba nilayE joyest state of - mind. nd to sum up ;O Mata priyadharshini -(here the deity is kamatchi wjho provides me succour like the Eye lids to the eyes, My mind and thought is filled with the joyest state of music which is Divine
Line 7.and (8) nemamuDan(with utmost obeysence undan nAmam tanayE (Your name) -this line correct
yAmunudinam pADum (to sing /chant your naA mA every moment and get enthralled(paravasanilai )
thandiSDum P:riyadharshini- you have endowed uswiith tjhis state of trance !
Regds.
Ramaraj p.s.Both tanda and tandidum arer correct provided taLam aspect is taken care of.
Last edited by vageyakara on 27 Mar 2009, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

There is a kriti by Guru Surajananda
RukmanipatE- populrdedby MLV
KR

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Just wanted to point out that Ramraj's kriti is full of svrAkSharas.
It is a superb composition superbly rendered by raji...
IR or ARR is sure to capitalize on this raga one of these days :)

vageyakara

Post by vageyakara »

CML guruji,Thank u for ut iewsKRamaraj

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

Respected Sri. Ramraj ji, Thank for all your explanations and guidance.
With lot of regards,
Hariharan.

arasi

Re: RAG: Priya Darsini

Post by arasi »

Mohan,
It says, 'file not found'.

hariharan

Post by hariharan »

I wish to add further information collected on this raga for the benifit of our Rasikas.
Arohana : S R2 M1 D1 N3 S
Avarohana : S N3 D1 M1 R2 S
considered a janya ragam of either kIravANi (21st mELakarthA) or sarasAn'gi (27th mELakarthA).
There is a Hindusthani raga in the same name Priyadarshini created by the great sarod Maestro Ustad Amjad Ali khan
who composed it for his albums "raga-priya-darshini-a-tribute" released in memory of Late PM Mrs. Indira Gandhi (Indira Priyadarshini)
The hindusthani rag Priyadarshini has traces of Yaman Kalyan/Behag (according to my views) and doesnot have any resemblances with the CM raga Priyadarshini.
Listen to the following audio link for the rag Priyadarshini (HM) played by Ustad AAK, for forming your views too.

http://gaana.com/#!/streamalbums/raga-p ... -a-tribute or
http://www.raaga.com/play/?id=305634 or
Link: http://www.raaga.com/player4/?id=305634 ... 1537291112
The Maestros Choice (Ustad Amjad Ali Khan) - Vol 3

Smt.Sudha Raghunath had rendered a song " RukminipathE" in this raga in one of her albums.

Shobha Shekhar, a vocalist had rendered this song at the Guruvayoor Chembai Utsavam, in 2012. The audio link is
< http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKcyfPsBVv4 >

Raga Priyadarshini in Bhajan Programmes.
I have heard this raga being sung the Bhajan sampradaya by Sri. Thanjavoor G.Thiagaran Bhagavatar, who had popularised widely this raga in the Bhajan sampradaya.
He chooses this particular raga in most of his Bhajans performances. Please listen to his rendering the raga Priyadarshini from the following links.

The link for download of the 3 files from my 'Dropbox' is:- < https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y7iw3rl1vsn5pqy/UgcIRs8xLu >
Thanjavoor Sri. Thiagarajan-Raga Priyadarshini- NameSizeModified
Abhang- Satgurune majhe.MP34.2 MB39 mins ago
Slokam in raga Priyadarshini.mp39.47 MB2 mins ago
Tharangam- Kalyanagopalam.mp35.5 MB2 mins ago

RasikasModerator2

Post by RasikasModerator2 »

This is the second thread under this raga.