Recalling Ariyakkudi’s art

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
venkatakailasam

Recalling Ariyakkudi’s art

Post by venkatakailasam »

please See...

Homage to Guru..... Alepey Venkatesan About his Guru-

brilliance of Ariyakkudi’s music, his restructuring of the concert format and

how Ariyakkudi’s Thodi is ‘The Thodi’ nonpareil.

http://www.thehindu.com/arts/music/article2834185.ece

with a recording from podhigai TV...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkwlqJ-4GbU

srikant1987

Re: Recalling Ariyakkudi’s art

Post by srikant1987 »

Thank you, venkatakailasam.

I happened to watch the second half of the telecast on Podhigai, and was looking for the whole programme!

Would you be knowing the names of the mridangam accompanist and the vocal accompanists for the shankarAbharaNam song (two of whom also interview Sri Venkatesan)?

Thank you for uploading the video and the The Hindu link!

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Sri Venkatakailasam, thank you, really enjoyed the Shankarabharanam.

venkatakailasam

mridangamkid

Post by mridangamkid »

In my humble opinion, ARI sirs bani is simply addicting. I find it impossible to listen to just one song of his as I am always asking for more. With what little knowledge I have, I don't feel adequate to make an in depth analysis of his sangathee; however,I find songs for which he is not"famous" for, (such as Sri Subramanyaya, Raju Vedala, etc.), just as addicting as those for which he has popularized. For example, I have yet to hear a better rendition of Hechariga ra ra than ARI sir's rendition 1956 (Allepey concert).

ARI sir is one of my favorite artists as he is the epitome of consistency and has no wasted effort. His concerts are very well cut and brings energy to each song which would have one asking for "just one more" after each segment.

This is of course my simple opinion, as not everyone would agree with this.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Mridangamkid,
Your opinion is shared by a vast majority of listeners, especially oldies. Palghat Mani Iyer unequivocally called him Número Uno. KVN used to sing a tribute song penned by Balakrishnashastrigal which you can hear here

KVN told me Subbudu liked it very much when he recited it the first time (and that KVN added the tala on Subbudu's suggestion).

ARI WAS indeed famous for Srisubrahmanyaya Namaste and Rajuvedala! Please read this:
http://www.carnaticcorner.com/articles/ ... slated.htm

varsha

Post by varsha »

http://grammar.about.com/od/essaysonsty ... ty-In-Art-[/b]By-Frank-Norris.htm
So very true of Ariyakudi and Amir khan
Once upon a time I had occasion to buy so uninteresting a thing as a silver soup-ladle. The salesman at the silversmith's was obliging and for my inspection brought forth quite an array of ladles. But my purse was flaccid, anemic, and I must pick and choose with all the discrimination in the world. I wanted to make a brave showing with my gift--to get a great deal for my money. I went through a world of soup-ladles--ladles with gilded bowls, with embossed handles, with chased arabesques, but there were none to my taste. "Or perhaps," says the salesman, "you would care to look at something like this," and he brought out a ladle that was as plain and as unadorned as the unclouded sky--and about as beautiful. Of all the others this was the most to my liking. But the price! ah, that anemic purse; and I must put it from me! It was nearly double the cost of any of the rest. And when I asked why, the salesman said:

"You see, in this highly ornamental ware the flaws of the material don't show, and you can cover up a blow-hole or the like by wreaths and beading. But this plain ware has got to be the very best. Every defect is apparent."
And there, if you please, is a conclusive comment upon the whole business--a final basis of comparison of all things whether commercial or artistic; the bare dignity of the unadorned that may stand before the world all unashamed, panoplied rather than clothed in the consciousness of perfection. We of this latter day, we painters and poets and writers--artists--must labour with all the wits of us, all the strength of us, and with all that we have of ingenuity and perserverance to attain simplicity.
Unquote
True of another centenarian too . :D But I wont take names .

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Varsha-Ji,
Beautiful. The art that is pure, unalloyed!

KK Hebbar's line drawings!
Haikus!
Old Mohammad Rafi songs with almost no orchestral accompaniment!

Sri Krishna states in the Bhagavad Gita 14.6 the merit of the Sattvic way:
tatra sattvaḿ nirmalatvāt
prakāśakam anāmayam

venkatakailasam

Can anything be more absorbing than this...one..concert..

ARI 008-Ariyakudi-Kangalai Attavo-Thodi-and other Purndaradasar devar nama ....62 mts....

ARI 008-Ariyakudi-Kangalai Attavo-Thodi- Purndaradasar.mp3

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

thank you sir. yes this is a famous concert.
kangalidyatako kaverirangana noDada