Marghazi Maha Utsavam - Jaya TV
Chettinad Vidhyashram, RA Puram, Chennai
14 Dec 2008

Sri T M Krishna - Vocal
Sri R K Sriramkumar - Violin
Sri K Arun Prakash - Mridangam
Sri Giridhar Utupa - Ghatam

Theme : Mummoorthigal

01 sri naadadi guruguho - mAyamAlava gowlai - Adi - Sri Muthuswamy Dikshitar N S
02 thalli ninnu nera - kalyAni - misra chApu - Sri Shyama Sastri - N
03 sri nilothpala nayike jagadambike - nAri rEthigowlai - rupakam(2) - Sri Muthuswamy
Dikshitar R
04 koniyAde - kokiladhwani - Adi - St. Thyagaraja
05 intha sowkya - kApi - Adi(2) - St. Thyagaraja R S
06 thani Avarthanam
07 mAyamma - Ahiri - Adi(2) - Sri Shyama Sastri N
08 nArayana hari - yamunA kalyAni - Adi - St. Thyagaraja
09 mAmava pattAbi - mani rangu - misra chApu - Sri Muthuswamy Dikshitar
10 mangalam

Quite an interesting and enjoyable concert. I heard for the first time the ragam Nari
Reethigowlai. Krishna, after a wonderful alapana took some time to explain about the
ragam. The 20th melakartha has Nari Reethigowlai in the Dikshitar way of
classification and Natabhairavi in the Venkitamahi's system. Interestingly the kriti itself
has "nata bhairavi" mentioed in it which indicates that Dikshitar was well aware of the
other classifciation system.

The concert was ably supported by Sriramkumar, Arun Prakash and Giridhar Udupa.
The thani was played nicely in a manner to suit the kriti's kalapramaanam.

Request someone to provide additional details and corrections to my observations, if
any.

Last edited by hariharans on 14 Dec 2008 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
hariharans

#2  Postby vijay » 14 Dec 2008 22:29

Thanks Hariharan. I wonder if Mummoorthigal makes sense as a "theme"!

vijay

#3  Postby jananee » 14 Dec 2008 23:32

I liked the snap..hariharans!

jananee

#4  Postby Jigyaasa » 14 Dec 2008 23:39

Yeah... Really nice photo...

Jigyaasa

#5  Postby kamavardhani » 15 Dec 2008 00:06

vijay wrote:I wonder if Mummoorthigal makes sense as a "theme"!

No, it certainly doesn't! A clear case of OB-adichufying in the name of a thematic concert... :)

kamavardhani

#6  Postby rajaglan » 15 Dec 2008 00:49

Whatever the theme name, this is the best format I want to listen, Rather than the theme concerts where the nuances of CM is diluted and more
lyrical research happens and more supply of songs happen. It is not that I donot like such things, but I will be very happy if they can telecast a
traditional CM concert in TV, especially for the nonchennai rasikas (who feel very dry) during the season.

How great it will be, if there is a Live telecast of Sudha, Vijay Siva, Sanjay, U Srinivas, TMK, Soumya, Gurucharan, Prassna venkatraman
concerts in Music Academy in HDTV version of Jaya TV (I guess it is not far away considering In USA one can watch NBA live in HDTV transmission).

rajaglan

#7  Postby annamalai » 15 Dec 2008 08:05

kamavardhani wrote:
vijay wrote:I wonder if Mummoorthigal makes sense as a "theme"!

No, it certainly doesn't! A clear case of OB-adichufying in the name of a thematic concert... :)

Franky, I think Jaya TV - theme based concerts are not useful. I do not know what is their point. Perhaps, these themes are intended for hype/marketing and not music BTW. it is NOT marghazi masam yet. Thematic concerts of Thyagaraja Aradhana or Muthuswamy Dikshitar are ok. Sometimes, these themes are carried too far. Even Rama Navami concerts contain other songs.

There is a message in the theme of TMK's concert. It will be a regular concert with the krithis of Trinity. What is the OB ?

Sree Neelothpala Nayike - Narireethigowla has been rendered by Balamuralkrishna Sr. and Kalpagam Swaminathan.

annamalai

#8  Postby Jigyaasa » 15 Dec 2008 08:53

annamalai wrote:Franky, I think Jaya TV - theme based concerts are not useful. I do not know what is their point. Perhaps, these themes are intended for hype/marketing and not music

It's just a novel idea... I guess they think that an entire concert would eat away too much from their "precious" air time dedicated to reality shows n soap operas... A theme is a good excuse to restrain the scope of a concert so that it can be presented in a half hour capsule... After all, TRP's r what really matter.
annamalai wrote: BTW. it is NOT marghazi masam yet.

The concets r TELECAST in Margazhi only... So for ppl watchin em on TV, it is INDEED mArgazhi mahA "utsavam"...

N I agree that it surely doesn't qualify as a theme... For someone as "enlightened" as Sri T.M.Krishna, it seems to be a "slip" of sorts...

Jigyaasa

#9  Postby prashant » 15 Dec 2008 09:16

This might be a completely silly question, but what is "OB-adichufying"? :-)

prashant

#10  Postby sridrect » 15 Dec 2008 09:31

rajaglan wrote:Whatever the theme name, this is the best format I want to listen, Rather than the theme concerts where the nuances of CM is diluted and more
lyrical research happens and more supply of songs happen. It is not that I donot like such things, but I will be very happy if they can telecast a
traditional CM concert in TV, especially for the nonchennai rasikas (who feel very dry) during the season.

How great it will be, if there is a Live telecast of Sudha, Vijay Siva, Sanjay, U Srinivas, TMK, Soumya, Gurucharan, Prassna venkatraman
concerts in Music Academy in HDTV version of Jaya TV (I guess it is not far away considering In USA one can watch NBA live in HDTV transmission).

1. These thematic concerts are a welcome change from all the "other regular" concerts
2. It helps to listen to some rare compositions and know something about their compositions.
3. As far one Mr Sanjay Subrahmanyan goes, there is NO DILUTION of CM in such thematic concerts. Each one of his concert of last 6 years at Margazhi Mahautsavam for JAYA-TV is a gem. May be other "artistes" are diluting the nuances of CM :-)

sridrect

#11  Postby srinidhi » 15 Dec 2008 10:24

When does Jaya TV start telecasting these kutcheris?

srinidhi

#12  Postby hariharans » 15 Dec 2008 10:30

Srinidhi, i had posted the complete telecast details in a separate post.

( Mod note: Here is the link: http://rasikas.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7655-jaya-tv-margazhi-maha-utsavam-telecast-schedule.html )

hariharans

#13  Postby arasi » 15 Dec 2008 11:22

Prashant,
I have the same 'silly' question too. What is OB aDichufying?

I find the Margazhi mahA utsavam themes refreshing. They interest both the rasikAs and rasikAs-to-be and the sries helps draw more listeners to CM. However, in some instances elsewhere, the overuse of the word 'thematic' without any significant intent makes it feel as if a currently fashionable word is used without carrying much meaning with it.
Since this program is aired from Chennai, tamizh songs (for tamizh viewers) makes sense--or, are we to see it as a healthy sign indicating that new listeners are ready for a sampling of the trinity as well?

arasi

#14  Postby annamalai » 15 Dec 2008 11:46

Jigyaasa wrote:
annamalai wrote:Franky, I think Jaya TV - theme based concerts are not useful. I do not know what is their point. Perhaps, these themes are intended for hype/marketing and not music

It's just a novel idea... I guess they think that an entire concert would eat away too much from their "precious" air time dedicated to reality shows n soap operas... A theme is a good excuse to restrain the scope of a concert so that it can be presented in a half hour capsule... After all, TRP's r what really matter.
annamalai wrote: BTW. it is NOT marghazi masam yet.

The concets r TELECAST in Margazhi only... So for ppl watchin em on TV, it is INDEED mArgazhi mahA "utsavam"...

N I agree that it surely doesn't qualify as a theme... For someone as "enlightened" as Sri T.M.Krishna, it seems to be a "slip" of sorts...

I maintain my view - the concert theme is a pure marketing / hype and including the name - Marghazhi Utsavam for concerts held in Karthigai month. These concerts will be re-telecast ad nauseum till March - April also.

Someone does not want to conform to some spurious idea of theme based concert, then why all the adjectives ?

Short duration or rare krithis are not the reasons for these themes.

Radio concerts are of 1 hour duration and serious music can be heard without any themes. If rare krithis are of interest - there are still many krithis of Thyagaraja / Dikshitar that are out of circulation. If tamil krithis should be sung in TN, then what about concerts in Bangalore ?

Last edited by annamalai on 15 Dec 2008 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
annamalai

#15  Postby keerthi » 15 Dec 2008 12:39

Balamuralikrishna's version of SreenIlOtpalanayike is in plain rIthigaula and not in NarIRItigaula..

keerthi

#16  Postby rajaglan » 15 Dec 2008 13:53

sridrect wrote:
rajaglan wrote:Whatever the theme name, this is the best format I want to listen, Rather than the theme concerts where the nuances of CM is diluted and more

1. These thematic concerts are a welcome change from all the "other regular" concerts
2. It helps to listen to some rare compositions and know something about their compositions.
3. As far one Mr Sanjay Subrahmanyan goes, there is NO DILUTION of CM in such thematic concerts. Each one of his concert of last 6 years at Margazhi Mahautsavam for JAYA-TV is a gem. May be other "artistes" are diluting the nuances of CM :-)

Yes, Sanjay, Vijay Siva ..... definitely NO dilution. And may be many more.

Not many people understood my point. It is purely from a nonchennaiites point of view who donot have such a grand season
in their towns. Atleast the telecast can be a pure CM.

MMU & MMU telecast is over and above what goes on in chennai , and hence chennai rasikas should not complain. They simply have
overdose of CM traditional format in season and hence MMU should be very refreshing change for them..

rajaglan

#17  Postby prashant » 16 Dec 2008 10:22

vijay wrote:OB aDichufying - A tough one to translate. A sort of a charade or "going through the motions" usually associated with lack of sincerity...."winging it" comes close but has a more positive connotation...

Thanks for the valuable clarification, Vijay :-)

prashant

#18  Postby shashi » 16 Dec 2008 10:25

TMK is just singing to his strengths and also taking the safe route being his first time in Jaya TV's fest. Why should anyone be surprised?

shashi

#19  Postby srinidhi » 16 Dec 2008 10:30

Shashi,

TMK has sung in MMU earlier.

srinidhi

#20  Postby shashi » 16 Dec 2008 10:48

Oh when was that? I seem to have missed it. Don't find the clippings in Youtube either.

shashi

#21  Postby carnaticdasan » 16 Dec 2008 11:38

Prashant

From what i have gathered from the students in TN / Chennai,OB Aduchufying is a term meaning "Time pass ".Beating round the Bush without touching the cruz of the item.

Is this clear Prashant / Arasi

carnaticdasan

#22  Postby HarishankarK » 16 Dec 2008 13:06

I donot think TM Krishna was singing in MMU last year or the year before last !!

HarishankarK

#23  Postby arasi » 16 Dec 2008 13:25

OB must have come from english words, is my guess since we use so many acronyms in India. O=over? I see several shades of meeaning in your posts here. One that fits well (standing for insincerity) makes me wonder if it is over-buttering up??

arasi

#24  Postby vasanthakokilam » 16 Dec 2008 13:36

'OB adikaradhu' is part of madras tamil and has been around for decades to mean 'wasting time' and other different shades of meaning that Vijay and naarayanan have described. Not sure if it used in other parts of tamil nadu.

No one knows for sure where that came from. I have heard that one possibility is "Off Beat", meaning "off duty".

vasanthakokilam

#25  Postby naarayanan » 17 Dec 2008 18:48

'adikardhu' is part of madras thamizh. we add it invariably to all verbs to denote a lighter connotation. like copy adikardhu, thanni adikardhu, sight adikardhu et cetera.

ok oru coffee adichitu varen. bye

naarayanan

Next

Return to Kutcheri Reviews & Recordings