Concert Attendance Report

Review the latest concerts.

Re: Concert Attendance Report - 12 Jul & 23rd July, 2011

#101  Postby tkb » 24 Jul 2011 10:24

Nice to see Young NRI artists making a big impression these days in Chennai. I had the oppurtunity to be there for a short while in Hariharah Ravi's vocal concert on the 12th July at BVB mini hall organised under Balakalasagaram Trust by Issaimazhalai Ramjhi with Shyam on Violin and Akshay Ram on Mrudhangam. It was a good concert and i wanted to be there for his full concert on 19th Jul'11 but missed it. I am trying to catch up with his concert at NGS mini hall in the second week of August. Sri Cleveland Sundaram spoke about Hariharani's talents and his growth in his learning process as he is one of the regulars for the Cleveland Thyagaraja Utsavam. Sri Ramjhi informed that he was so impressed with the voice and talent of Hariharan that he arranged this concert in a short notice, sooner he got to know that he was in Chennai.

Kamalakiran Vinjamuri's solo violin concert i attended yesterday is probably one of the best i had attended in the recent past. He had the stamp of his guru, Ms. A. Kanyakumari's school of playing techniques and the smile she carries while interacting with the artists during a concert. Kamalakiran, all of 13 years old, was all at ease with the enhancement team of Sri Arjun Ganesh on mrudhangam, Sri. K. V. Gopalakrishnan on Kanjeera and Dr. S. Karthick on Ghatam who did their best! He also his guru's divine blessings with her presence for the concert.

I entered when Kamalakiran was actually singing Akilandeswari on violin and continued to do so through out the concert. He followed it up with Nadhupai - Madhyamavathi and Ragunadha nannu - Swararanjani. I missed the RTP in Shanmugapriya but came back to listen to Revagupti ragaThillana followed by Bagyadhalaksmi Baramma, Brahma Kadigina Padhamu, Pibare Ramarasam and Mangalam. I had the pleasure of having attended a good concert and also the satisfaction of personally greeting the artist! Understand he is enhancing the vocal concert of Sri Madurai Rajaram today evening at Parvathy, 28/180 Eldams Road, Chennai for Music Education Trust. I will be missing it as i have to attend my wife's vocal concert today at Kumaran Kundram, Chrompet this evening!!

tkb

Re: Concert Attendance Report

#102  Postby sridhar_ranga » 19 Dec 2013 09:24

Listened to Saketharaman for the first time at BGS last evening. It was an excellent team performance by Saketharaman, Nagai Sriram, Mannargudi Eswaran and S. Karthick. Mukhari premain (enRaikku Sivakripai) and Subhapantuvaraali main (Sri Satyanarayanam Upasmahe), followed by a 3-raga pallavi in Revati, Sahana and Sivasakti in khanDa jaati aTa taaLam. Interesting pallavi line combining the dances performed by Siva & Sakti (tANDavam and laasyam). Finished off with a few kritis on lord Siva.

sridhar_ranga

#103  Postby rshankar » 19 Dec 2013 09:27

Sridhar, I'm very curious now - what was the pallavi?

rshankar

#104  Postby sridhar_ranga » 19 Dec 2013 10:01

I no longer make notes but thankfully I messaged the pallavi line to a friend, so here it is from Viber:

takadheem takiTadheem enRu tANDavam || janudheem tajanudheem enRu laasyam || ADiDum SivaSaktiyai paNivOm ||

sridhar_ranga

#105  Postby rajeshnat » 19 Dec 2013 10:56

Nice thoughtful pallavi by saketharaman . I guess the experience of learning from Lalgudi has indeed brought that . What does laasyam mean?

rajeshnat

#106  Postby Nick H » 19 Dec 2013 11:19

Yesterday I attended four concerts. This is a personal record, and not one that I am interested in breaking! Two is enough, three is overeating.

Another record for me was three consecutive concerts by students of Smt R Vedavalli: Ashwin Anand (veena), Usha Padmanabhan, and Archana & Arathi.

On top of those concerts at MA and Raga Sudha, I fulfilled a promise to an old friend from London to see his program: Manikam Yogeswaren. His performance was full of gusto and passion. The difference from the previous concerts made this, the fourth course in a rich meal, palatable and digestible

Nick H

#107  Postby rshankar » 20 Dec 2013 05:49

sridhar_ranga wrote:I no longer make notes but thankfully I messaged the pallavi line to a friend, so here it is from Viber:

takadheem takiTadheem enRu tANDavam || janudheem tajanudheem enRu laasyam || ADiDum SivaSaktiyai paNivOm ||

Beautiful...I was imagining this danced, with vigorous jumps and leg lifts for the tANDavam, and an almost mohiniATtamish grace for the lAsyam...
Rajesh...if Siva dances the vigorous tANDavam, pArvati dances the lAsyam with languorous grace. It is a way of dancing. Lalgudi Sri Jayaraman in his nATya composition, jaya jaya dEvi, refers to it as 'naLinam migunda lAsyam'. Myth has it, that umA taught this firm of dancing to ushA, the daughter of bhANAsura...
Also, some believe that the word tALa, comes from the union of tANDava and lAsya.

rshankar

#108  Postby Nick H » 20 Dec 2013 08:11

Yesterday: Just K P Nandini (missed 'h'?).

My favourite new-to-me-this-year vocalist (also a violinist.) Great voice, great concert.

About to go to MA. I guess I'll be late for 9.15 concert --- but it's midnight according to my personal clock!

Nick H

#109  Postby rajeshnat » 23 Dec 2013 21:22

Today i went around 7pm to hear hyderabad brothers after a long time. the venue was meenakshi college of engg . I mistook this venue for the meenakshi college in kodambakkam-liberty which has also an engg college. I went and the watchman said the concerts at this college got over few days back , there is also few concerts here. I just checked kutcheris.com to find the venue was meenakshi college of engg in kk nagar .

Govinda govinda one day of concert gone despite just trying my best to sneak in out of office bit early. we have aishwarya and sanjay ambiguity, now we also have venue ambiguity.This post is just a caution for all of you that meenakshi college of engg is in kknagar and not kodambakkam.

rajeshnat

#110  Postby vasanthakokilam » 24 Dec 2013 05:25

:( That is too bad Rajesh, that has got to be quite disappointing. Thanks for the warning

vasanthakokilam

#111  Postby Nick H » 24 Dec 2013 11:23

My concert going is interrupted by visitors from USA.

However, there was never any doubt that Smt Vedavalli's concert would be included in our itinerary. It is always a little nerve racking to introduce people to carnatic music at the deepest of the deep end, but they were able to share my bliss.

Having them here brought me a new experience, because I would not often look even for the great names in dance, but they wanted to see some, and a quick scan of the newspaper resulted us in us being at Kalakshetra in the evening, watching the ladies from Nrityagram, whose dance is one of just one of the most extraordinary wonderful experiences in the world! In fact, a world-wide dance follower friend, who introduced me to them, described them to me as "The best dancers I have ever seen." I have experienced very little dance --- but I'm certainly not arguing with this!

Sunday, therefore, was an amazingly special day from beginning to end.

Nick H

Previous

Return to Kutcheri Reviews & Recordings