Ramnad Krishnan

Carnatic Musicians

#101  Postby m_gopala » 13 Dec 2009 01:13

most musicians bring out the pathos of sahana , but RK brings the delight in the teasing padam ini enna pechu? ellarkum nagaippachu. the way he rolls the gamakams effortlessly is simply great. Manadukkisainda padi aachche, mattu meeri pochche!

m_gopala

#102  Postby Jim » 10 Jan 2010 03:54

Just to get things rolling again... Here's a story from 1968.

I learned Telisi Rama Chintanato from Krishnan with the chittiswara: r-gmrsnp-prsr-gm|r--p-mrg|mpdps---|| etc. A friend taught me the other chittaswara (r--rgmrgmp- etc.), which is the more common one I believe, and I wrote it down in my music notebook. When I showed off my knowledge of the new chittaswara to Krishnan at my next lesson he made a face and told me it was no good -- went out of the raga. I still have the notebook and the huge "X" that he wrote through that chittaswara. I always wondered, was this RK just asserting a preference or is there a genuine disagreement about the appropriateness of two Poorna Chandriga chittaswaras?

Jim

Re: Ramnad Krishnan

#103  Postby ragam-talam » 27 Apr 2010 02:56

ragam-talam

#104  Postby ragam-talam » 04 Jun 2010 23:23

http://www.hinduonnet.com/16hdline.htm
Obituary entry
Mrs. K. Mangalam, W/o. late Mr. Ramnad Krishnan (Carnatic Musician) passed away on 01.06.2010.

ragam-talam

#105  Postby thanjavooran » 05 Jun 2010 03:40

My heart felt condolences to the family members
Thanjavooran 05 06 10

thanjavooran

#106  Postby Ramasubramanian M.K » 22 Jun 2010 09:04

Condolences to the family. She was the daughter of Umayalpuram Kothandarama Iyer the Ghatam Vidwan who played for the great stalwarts in the Twenties and thirties and in his later life played for MSS at the behest of Semmangudi Mama. Soft and yet elegant style much appreciated by PMI.
It must have been awfully tough for the lady after RK's death in the sixties--almost 40 years back.

May her soul rest in peace!! I understand that she was a soft and devoted lady.

Ramasubramanian M.K

#107  Postby vs_manjunath » 04 Jul 2010 07:49

:lol:
ragam-talam wrote:Awesome
Update:
uploads here:
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/rao_sharath/RK/

ragam-talam:Thanks for this link. Very enjoyable d/loads.
Especially Kaligiyunte in Keeravani i had never heard by RK. His favourite in Keervani being "varamulosage". Thanks once again for these uploads. :lol:
VS Manjunath

Can seniors of the Forum comment on the following : RK popularised many of Patnam Subramania Iyer's compositions- Any Specific reason behind this or He loved PS Iyer's compositions and popularised them ??
Update:

vs_manjunath

#108  Postby vs_manjunath » 05 Jul 2010 04:51

Can seniors of the forum may please share the the secret behind Ramnad Krishnan's popularising many Patnam Subramania Iyer's compositions.It is very clear he wanted to popularise PS Iyer's compositions which is very evident from his available recordings.

vs_manjunath

#109  Postby mahesh3 » 19 Jun 2011 04:14

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/rao_sharath/RK/

Just finished listening to all the uploads on here. What an artist...there are so many shades from a variety of schools that he brings, yet remains an "Originale"!

mahesh3

#110  Postby askn » 13 May 2012 17:15

The Ragam Tanam Pallavi has for long been the centrepiece of a concert performance. It includes all aspects of improvisation and also shows the artiste's competence in handling difficult technical situations. This programme has Ramnad Krishnan, an acknowledged master, singing a pallavi in Todi set in Chatushra Jati Jhampa tala, 3 kalai. www.radioweb.in

askn

#111  Postby narayan » 28 May 2012 07:55

Sruti magazine's May 2012 issue features Ramnad Krishnan. Interesting tit-bits on the man and a glimpse at his influence even on current day musicians. Learned from the main feature that he was the one who has tuned Govardhana Giridhara in D.Kanada and Kalaya Yasode in S.Sarang. The few minutes of both of these songs are unforgettable for those who have heard the recordings, I guess.

narayan

#112  Postby varsha » 29 Aug 2012 07:43

http://www.mediafire.com/?3vt0slu4bth22be

A wonderful neraval . RK in fine form

varsha

#113  Postby venkatakailasam » 29 Aug 2012 08:28

E SWARA -001-Shri Ramnad Krishnan-Bhavayami Raguramam..

The song was provided by Shri. Khaanthan Balakrishna Sastri which was tagged to Chitraveena Shri Ravi Kiran in the Face Book.
Khaanthan Balakrishna Sastri has to his credit a film on the Carnatic Music Legend Ramnad Shri Krishnan titled MUSICIANS' MUSICIAN.
Recently Ramnad Krishnan's son Ramanathan has located a very rare rendering of BHAVAYAMI by the legend. Yet another treat to music lovers.
This is for you to enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCsBeQ3QDG4

By Ramanad Krishnan at my blog..reach...

http://myblogkumara.blogspot.in/2011/03 ... er_25.html

venkatakailasam

#114  Postby vs_manjunath » 30 Aug 2012 06:14

Nice Bhavayaami....Very Good Video Mixing frm various sources.......Happy to hear & watch your You Tube Uploads!! Thanks once again.

vs_manjunath

#115  Postby mahavishnu » 14 Sep 2013 09:08

It is Ramnad Krishnan's birthday today (Sept 14).
I have been looping this beautiful Sriranjani of his today. https://soundcloud.com/ramesh-balasubra ... sriranjani

I believe Radioweb is running a special all day. http://radioweb.in/artistes/ramnad-krishnan

mahavishnu

#116  Postby RaviSri » 14 Sep 2013 09:34

vs_manjunath wrote
Can seniors of the forum may please share the the secret behind Ramnad Krishnan's popularising many Patnam Subramania Iyer's compositions.It is very clear he wanted to popularise PS Iyer's compositions which is very evident from his available recordings.

I saw that this question was not answered. Ramnad Krishnan got a lot of his repertoire from Brinda-Muktha including Thyagaraja and Patnam songs. B-M learnt Patnam songs from their aunt (periyammA) Rajalakshmi, the eldest daughter of Veena Dhanammal. Rajalakshmi learnt directly from Patnam himself. intakaNTE kAvalanA (kannaDA), abhimAnamu (bEgaDA), rAmA ika nannu (sahAnA) were some of the songs of Patnam that RK learnt from B-M.

RaviSri

#117  Postby cacm » 14 Sep 2013 11:24

TRUE but Ramnad Raghavan stayed hardly 2 months in USA! VKV

cacm

#118  Postby vs_manjunath » 14 Sep 2013 19:56

RaviSri-Thanks for your reply.

vs_manjunath

#119  Postby Ramasubramanian M.K » 15 Sep 2013 08:11

Following up on Ravi Sri's comments on B-M's influence on RK's music--add to it the fact that he came under B-M's tutlelage when he must have been in HIS early/late forties(i.e.1950's)--earlier he was known to imitate GNB's style in terms of high speed brigas--In my opinion B-M shaped his talents,did not dampen his penchant for brisk brigas and widened his repertoire for which RK was eternally grateful--not that the acknowledgement ever deterred Brindamma from giving a poke in the ribs(after wandering around you have come to the right place!!!) Brindamma -- and in my opinion rightfully so -- never failed to "dish out" her feelings no matter how high the Vidwan may have been when she felt there was unjust treatment and Boy were there plenty of instances of benign neglect and indifference amongst the powers-that-be!!!.
When the "gang"(B-M et al) got together they would poke fun at RK --ofcourse in jest--(RK in his normal verbal exchanges will exhibit an unusually hasty delivery almost panting for breath which used to be the topic of fun for Musiri,Brindamma et al.-- a kind of nervous nellie--he felt so much out of place at Wesleyan--a golden opportunity given to him thanks to T Viswa--he felt homesick and despite pleas from V.Thygarajan,V.Nagarajan and T Viswa--returned without completing his tenure.

LGJ,PMI all had a very high regard for RK.

Ramasubramanian M.K

#120  Postby cacm » 15 Sep 2013 10:35

LET me express a slightly different angle. I had known RK for a very long time; Both HE & I had listened to GNB from the road below at HINDU High School ''& several other locations as neither of us could spare the one rupee in those days. The vidwans were not admitted free in those days! While he was in the company of elite musicians the economics of his livelihood was very stark & not good till very late in his career. In desperation I requested MMI if he would let him play Thambura in a few of his concerts so he could earn a few rupees MMI said RK was a GREAT VIDWAN & he should not be put in a position to play thambura for him-in those days playing Thambura was reserved for sishyas & lower level types-He did give some financial help....When RK was trying to break through he was in desperation forced to experiment though Sankarasivam's training was very sound & RK was acknowledged by ALL the leading vidwans to be a high caliber musician.As MKR has said PMI publicly stated when he was asked about who the good musicians were- his openness&bluntness was well known- readily volunteered to say RK was very good. Of course LGJ with his uncanny abilities had stated many times how good RK was....He is the prime example of a person in those days who struggled to survive so he could express his creativity & SUCCEEDED late in his career to get the financial & artistic recognition he so richly deserved...VKV

cacm

#121  Postby varsha » 15 Sep 2013 11:02

wrong post

Last edited by varsha on 16 Sep 2013 06:09, edited 1 time in total.
varsha

#122  Postby cacm » 15 Sep 2013 23:28

Dear Varsha,
My reason for including or excluding has nothing to do with the niceities of the situations. To me its part OF OUR HISTORY & PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW IT. No point in NOT covering the circumstances esp. as there are opinions EXPRESSED here that the EARLIER PART of his singing was better etc. Its a fact that RK was a UNIQUE TALENT but was forced to TRY DIFFERENT things to get attention. The fact is UNLESS one was A GNB, MSS, OR MMI the audiences & sabhas did not flock to listen to them tho' the major vidwans, critics & rasikas praised them PERSONALLY. A VERY SENIOR VIDWAN (who shall remain nameless) told me that an ENTIRE GENERATION of musicians patterned themselves UNSUCCESSFULY AFTER GNB because of his success and FAILED (according to him).
If I have to ADD KNOWLEDGE 100 PERCENT OF THE TIME the ONLY WAY I can take part is TO KEEP QUIET which I will do from now on. I was attempting to explain that it was NOT JUST THE MUSIC that matters in the success of the musicians. MY VIEWS are obviously different than yours but if its considered inappropriate the only solution is to refrain from participation. VKV

cacm

#123  Postby varsha » 16 Sep 2013 06:11

MY VIEWS are obviously different than yours but if its considered inappropriate the only solution is to refrain from participation. VKV

pl do continue .I take back my feelings :)

varsha

#124  Postby Ramasubramanian M.K » 17 Sep 2013 09:42

A slight digression and perhaps useless trivia--my forte I might add:

RK taught vocal music to Smt Kamala Narayan(nee Kumari Kamala) in the early fifties--our family was/is still in touch with her and her family- Kamala was living with her mother and sisters in a nice modern bungalow in a lane called De Monte lane connecting San Thome High Road to the Beach.During the summer months when myself and my sister came to Madras,along with our cousins used to visit them and play cards,carrom etc. Generally when she did not have dance rehearsal with Vazhuvoor Ramiah Pillai(the dance rehearsals were rigorous and frequent and the practice schedules were tight because of Kamala's Dance commitments),RK would come for tuition.(he used to live in Nadu Street in Mylapore (as I recall)--not far from San Thome)

One day in late April.he came as per the schedule in one of those hand-drawn rickshaws to teach- in 102 degree heat-that was the day we had all planned to have fun,visit the Marina Canteen,movies etc--big deal in those days for us kids!!!. We had gathered in Kamala's house and were playing-when RK arrived Kamala was in no mood for tuition and literally pleaded with RK to reschedule much against her Mom's will .Somehow she "sweet-talked" RK saying we have come from Bombay etc etc. RK was very understanding-Kamala was sweet enough to send him back in her car--he was a good teacher--very patient(ofcourse Kamala's celebrity status may also have been a factor!!)I think Kamala has given a record Kaddana Variki in Thodi(I think this was taught by RK!!)

Seriously though as CACM pointed out his early career was dwarfed by the giants--SSI,MMI,GNB and did not have a mentor like KVN had (Ariyakudi/Palghat Mani Iyer) and TNK had in SSI. As they say One has got to be in the right place and at the right time!!!

Ramasubramanian M.K

#125  Postby cacm » 17 Sep 2013 09:52

He lived in Appu Mudali street also near Kapali temple. i dare not go further as I can get into trouble here(on probation on a short lease). VKV :-@

cacm

PreviousNext

Return to Vidwans & Vidushis