T.M Krishna

Carnatic Musicians

#1  Postby shreeharinair » 22 Mar 2006 04:13

I was searching for T.M Krishna in this forum , how can we avoid him ? such a great young artist with a rigid vision.

Last year when i was in bangalore , i happened to hear his concert in Odakatur mutt during Astami Rohini days . that day 'O Ranga Sai' was his master peice . he sung that almost 1 hr, in real traditional style. whole audience listened that kruthi in pin drop silence. if any one have his concert audios,videos,interviews please upload here ..

shreeharinair

#2  Postby coolkarni » 23 Mar 2006 07:02

shreeharinair
it is quite obvious that the current generation of performing artists will be represented lightly here in these forums simply because most of their recordings are commercial.......

coolkarni

#3  Postby shreeharinair » 24 Mar 2006 04:38

shreeharinair
it is quite obvious that the current generation of performing artists will be represented lightly here in these forums simply because most of their recordings are commercial.......

I think somebody can record live concerts , Digitize it and post it here.

shreeharinair

#4  Postby cmlover » 24 Mar 2006 07:35

I wish life were so simple ;)

cmlover

#5  Postby coolkarni » 24 Mar 2006 08:00

Sigh !!! :cry:

coolkarni

#6  Postby srinidhi » 24 Mar 2006 23:47

Have you checked out Sangeethapriya.org ?They have a concert of TM Krishna. Also Cooltoad has the Pancharathnas renderd by him

srinidhi

#7  Postby shreeharinair » 25 Mar 2006 01:36

Can anyone upload O Rangasai by T.M Krishna ?

Have you checked out Sangeethapriya.org ?They have a concert of TM Krishna. Also Cooltoad has the Pancharathnas renderd by him

shreeharinair

#8  Postby rshankar » 25 Mar 2006 02:46

Sreehari,
Instead of dancing around the issues, let me bell the cat and put an end to these requests: Unless otherwise stated, I am not aware of anyone in the forum who will be able to post any of Sri T. M. Krishna's or any other contemporary artists' renderings. I would suggest that you try the links from cooltoad/sangeethapriya, and listen to MIO for his songs. The only other option is to listen to him live and make a private recording for your own listening pleasure. Much as others would love to have them, please do not post recordings from current artists that you have either!
Ravi

rshankar

#9  Postby shreeharinair » 29 Mar 2006 03:59

Instead of dancing around the issues

Ravi, what is the big 'issue' here ?

if you have some non commercial recordings then post it else leave it , simple

let me bell the cat and put an end to these requests
sorry to say that This sounds so rude

Sreehari,
Instead of dancing around the issues, let me bell the cat and put an end to these requests: Unless otherwise stated, I am not aware of anyone in the forum who will be able to post any of Sri T. M. Krishna's or any other contemporary artists' renderings. I would suggest that you try the links from cooltoad/sangeethapriya, and listen to MIO for his songs. The only other option is to listen to him live and make a private recording for your own listening pleasure. Much as others would love to have them, please do not post recordings from current artists that you have either!
Ravi

shreeharinair

#10  Postby Vaaraki » 11 Jan 2007 05:27

:)

Last edited by Vaaraki on 27 Jun 2008 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
Vaaraki

#11  Postby meena » 11 Jan 2007 05:41

shreeharinair & Vaaraki

For starters take the time also to read our forum rules instead of shooting Q's!

http://rasikas.org/misc.php?action=rules

No current artists'' recordings (since they are very likely copyrighted)

meena

#12  Postby Sam Swaminathan » 11 Jan 2007 05:43

Before every body jump in and "pirandify" Ravi for his comments (albeit a bit harsh), there is an element of truth in what he is saying. For example, how does one know that a particular kutchery is non commercial ? I am saying this with some experience on this matter. I run the NZ Carnatic Soceity, as a committee member. We recently had an artist here performing for us. As is our normal custom, I approcached the person and requested that we record the concert for our archival purposes. The answer was a flat NO. I enquired as to the reason. The artist replied that all that artist's concerts are licenced or copywrited to some music company in India and that I need to get their permission to record the concert. I was fed up and I stood on my rights to do a recording for our official purposes and to hell with the artist's agreement with the recording company. The artist finally consented. I am not in a position to stand in judgement of the artist's position. But as a fee paying organisation, I should have the right to do one recording for my official needs, on the understanding that such copy is not circulated or sold to any one ( or put into Rapidshare for sharing amongst us)

Perhaps, this is one of the reasons for Ravi's comments.........

Sam Swaminathan

#13  Postby coolkarni » 11 Jan 2007 05:57

Not only this.

Each and every upload here comes with the Guarantee (from the uploader) that
** to the best of current knowledge , these were not thought to be in commercial domain , and if found to be so , there would be no hesitation in withdrawing them, unconditionally.

**the entire thrust of uploads is directed towards a better understanding of a person or a subject .

coolkarni

#14  Postby rshankar » 11 Jan 2007 09:42

Sam, I did not respond to the earlier 'pirandifying' because I thought it did not merit a reply! I have discovered that a skin that is 3 parts rhinoceros hide and 1 part armored plate helps deflecting such comments. This copyright issue is a sensitive one to all of us who survived a storm in a tea-cup brought on us by a fromer member. So, as moderators, we have decided to jump in as and when we see something that could result in a bad outcome for the forum. And if we appear rude, then that is a price we are willing to pay.

rshankar

#15  Postby arasi » 11 Jan 2007 11:03

Ravi,
This brings to mind another important issue. While folks in India speak of how CM flourishes elsewhere (in the US, Australia etc), I wonder whether they get the whole picture. How much energy, time and goodwill goes into it! What a struggle it is--specially in smaller communities to bring a concert to town! A prosperous community does not mean that funds are readily available for a CM concert. The point I am coming to is that the sabhas NEED to keep themselves solvent and one of the sources of funds is in selling concert recordings to those who cannot attend. The work involved in this is done by the sabha volunteers . Any musician who says that the concert should not be recorded--may not get invited again to perform. Correct me if I am wrong...

arasi

#16  Postby coolkarni » 11 Jan 2007 11:23

arasi
you are wrong
Sabhas are more prosperous than what you imagine.

Concert recordings ...
Unless the artist him/herself is convinced that it is in their interest to decide which concerts should be in public domain and allow them to be so, there is no hope.
For that, they must first get convinced that such an affirmative action will not lead to reduced sales of what is published in the market .
(Mysore Nagaraj once confided to me that the task of discussing the list of tracks with the Music house was such a depressing one - talks which veer around to atleast 10 tracks in 60 mts with a raghuvamshasudha or some such thing.And he also mentioned that in case he insisted on a 45 mt begada , he would never be called again for discussions !)
Just imagine , if only we could dicuss freely, in our forums, about current artists with the use of recordings.
We would then not be in so much pain to convince the Doubting Thomas that CM is indeed alive and flourishing.

I have personal experience of requesting atleast 4 current artists for selective uploads and the answer is
sadly,

NEITHER A YES
NOR
A NO.

this was one of the issues raised at the symposium in Narada Gana Sabha, but no one gave it enough thought.
except for Sriram Parasuram ,who said -
"Make a whitepaper with a list of demands - i will try to help , with as many artists as possible."
Is anyone willing to start defining such an action plan , to rope in the current artists , for wider dissemination...
Carnatica openly announced that rasikas.org was definitely a site with some sense and had to be taken seriously.
Can we latch on to that straw - however small ?
Can we start with artists who are members here atleast ?

coolkarni

#17  Postby vijay » 11 Jan 2007 11:25

Ravi/Kulkarniji/Sam/others, while it may not be possible to upload TMK's concerts, the forum is also meant for discussing musicians and share other "un-copyrighted" stuff - photos/articles/interviews etc.

Perhaps that would mollify Shreehari to some extent...here is the musician's website - www.tmkrishna.com

An interview with carnatica.com - http://www.carnatica.net/nvr/tmk-interview.htm

Vijay

vijay

#18  Postby ramakriya » 11 Jan 2007 11:27

coolkarni,

Arasi is talking funds from a different angle - From the angle of sabhas here in the USA. I think that is quite true.
-Ramakriya

Last edited by ramakriya on 11 Jan 2007 11:29, edited 1 time in total.
ramakriya

#19  Postby coolkarni » 11 Jan 2007 11:34

ramakriya
point taken

Vijay
I was not referring to TMK alone.Though this subject cropped up in this thread.
In fact he is probably the only artist who had spoken out his mind on this subject and we should respect him for that ..

I have no rigid feelings on these matters too.
Quite content to enjoy all these legally , Internet or no Internet.
( i have just been busy scanning my dads old letters and one of them said -in 1987-
Hey ! our tape collection-in numbers- has crossed 585 ... Probably it is time for us to stop now):)

coolkarni

#20  Postby rshankar » 11 Jan 2007 18:02

Coming back to this topic, I think that when any track is u/led, one must be certain that it will not violate copyright laws. When it comes to contemporary musicians, one must get permission from the artist in question, or their representative. A few of the current crop are lackadaisical, but a majority hold very clear views on the sharing of their music, even something that was not recorded 'officially' - they do feel that it is 'theirs' to decide. For instance, Manakkal Sri Rangarajan's music should NOT be uploaded unless he and/or Sriram expressly give(s) permission. And going by some of the requests for withdrawing tracks on other forums, it is clear that u/ling without permission can be a dicey business. So, in order to be like Ceasar's wife, let us make absolutely sure that we have the artists' permission before we upload.
Vijay,
If we do want to discuss contemporary musicians, and discuss nuances or other aspects, I certainly think that we can post links to commercially available albums that can be purchased, or links to MIO or raaga, or udhbhava, and use those tracks for demonstrating a point.

rshankar

#21  Postby jayaram » 11 Jan 2007 19:13

"Make a whitepaper with a list of demands - i will try to help , with as many artists as possible."
Is anyone willing to start defining such an action plan , to rope in the current artists , for wider dissemination...

Shashi - I am quite willing to work with others on this. Such a document should also include the benefits from the musicians' perspective to get their buy-in.
This has been a pet peeve of mine for some time now...

Last edited by jayaram on 11 Jan 2007 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
jayaram

#22  Postby arasi » 11 Jan 2007 23:04

Cool,
As Ramakriya clarified, What I meant were sabhAs (music associations) OUTSIDE of India. We started off having chamber music in our basements mostly, and threw in a dinner--and even those who did not KNOW CM came--the indian community was a non-entity, and people came from within a radius of about hundred miles or more to a gathering--even to a concert! Students came for a home cooked meal. They were mostly pot luck dinners and great vidwans and vidushis came to sing and perform, eating with us like family. Then the temples came up as indian population grew, and they became concert venues. Any senior musician would tell you that there were many house concerts on their agenda. DKP, MLV, Maharajapuram, Parveen Sultana and so many others. Of course, some concerts took place in the universities, even then.
Today, many a good musician goes back to India without performing for these small communitiesecause they can't afford to pay the musicians!

Last edited by arasi on 11 Jan 2007 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
arasi

#23  Postby jayaram » 12 Jan 2007 02:15

Driiving home today, I was listening to the local BBC evening show that had an interesting piece. Apparently the new generation of rock/pop/etc music lovers in the west that has grown up on downloads, hates to to pay for any music - but are quite happy to pay good money for related products, e.g. T-shirts, posters, etc., and for live concerts.

I wonder if there's a parallel lesson for CM in there. Perhaps some creative guys will come up with a novel business model...

jayaram

#24  Postby rshankar » 12 Jan 2007 02:40

Would love to see the mAmIs and mAmAs (especially mine!) who usually go to these kutcheris wearing T shirts with faces of the musicians...That would be a perfect mastercard moment - priceless...ROFL.....

rshankar

#25  Postby Suji Ram » 12 Jan 2007 02:50

rshankar wrote:Would love to see the mAmIs and mAmAs (especially mine!) who usually go to these kutcheris wearing T shirts with faces of the musicians...That would be a perfect mastercard moment - priceless...ROFL.....

And you will need a reversible one if you are attending another kutcheri following the other :D

Suji Ram

Next

Return to Vidwans & Vidushis