Jayachamaraja Odeyar (Mysore Maharajah) - Part I

Carnatic composers

#101  Postby coolkarni » 07 Nov 2005 15:37

coolkarni

drsrikaanth
raja chandra

your mention of prof ramratnam tickled my interest in this artist ,once again.for years i have had only two photos and two clips of this artist.i have requested you to throw more light on this subject in the thread on (relatively)lesser known musicians under general discussions.

thanks in advance

coolkarni

#102  Postby kartik » 07 Nov 2005 15:37

kartik_krish

This composition is quite different from MD's masterpiece Sri Guruguha Murthey.Essentially different interpretations and colors of the raga.
This piece is frequently marked and rendered in Shudha Dhanyasi.

it is also very interesting to note that Udayaravichandrika(URC) is classified under Kokilapriya.If the earliest mela concept is used,it could still be Dhenuka.If URC is under Kokilapriya,does it conform to Katapayadi rule?
How about the Lakshana for the raga?

It may also be well worth discussing the lakshana for the ragas to come as well.

kartik

#103  Postby kartik » 07 Nov 2005 15:37

kartik_krish

Dr Srikaanth observations about Bhogavasantha are thus-
A very pleasing rAga easy to sing although one has to watch ones step to avoid slipping into hamsAnandi, the only difference being dhaivata. This is not too difficult. Another very closley allied rAga is kumudakriya born of the same mELa. Effectively the only difference in scale is that this lacks niShAda also in the ascent making it an auDava-ShADava rAga. But in kumudakriya, R and D are more prominent as compared to G and N.

What he has said is very correct, but in being an audava shadava raga,the arohana is SRGMDDS (note the DDS prayoga).This may be one of the reasons why it may be a case to discuss the ragas as well As we go further in His Highness JCW's kriti discussions ,it well be greatly useful since he has discovered ragas such as Amritavarshini (navamrutavarshini),Jayasamvardhini,Doorvanki,Kokilapanchama etc.

kartik

#104  Postby Lakshman » 07 Nov 2005 15:38

Lakshman

I have this version of the kriti:

manOnmaNi mAmavatu. rAgA: udayaravicandrikA. c/dhruva tALA.

P: manOnmaNi mAmavatu manOllAsini
A: mahAdEva mOhini madurA nagara vAsini mahiSa bhaNDa tripurAsura pramukha
mada bhanjani mahArAjni mahAdEvi mahA mAnini mAdhavi mAtangi
C: tripura vAsini shrI vidyA kaivalyadAyini shrI girIsha kAmini shrI shashi shEkhara mOdini
shrI durgAmbikAya ravicandrikA hari virinjAdi samsEvita hiraNmaya kamalapAda haradEvatA

Lakshman

#105  Postby Raja Chandra » 07 Nov 2005 15:38

Raja Chandra

dear DRS,

my pc has some problem with audio output and i have not heard the rendering of the kRuti, but i suppose your doubt is about the line:

||SrI durgAmbikAdyamartyAdi vanditA SrIlalitA ||

I think the following is the correct one:

||shree durgAMbikAyA martyAdivaMditA shree lalitA||

Raja Chandra

#106  Postby Raja Chandra » 07 Nov 2005 15:38

Raja Chandra

dear shree coolkarni ,

you mean you want to know more about Prof.V.Ramarathnam ?

Raja Chandra

#107  Postby Raja Chandra » 07 Nov 2005 15:39

Raja Chandra

dear shree DRS,

kindly peruse the document :

http://rapidshare.de/files/3881332/jcrw ... e.pdf.html

hope it is of some use.

Raja Chandra

#108  Postby drshrikaanth » 07 Nov 2005 15:39

drshrikaanth

Welcome karthik-krish

Raja Chandra
thanks for that notation in Srikantan`s lovely writing (muttinantaha akShara). That is exactly how Sathyavathi sings "durgAmbikAryamartyAdi". I Only changed it to AdyamartyAdi as I was not able to make out the meaning (with my limited knowledge of samskRta). Another book gives it as durgAmbikAyA martyAdi. This looks definitely wrong. You have given it as durgAmbikAyAmityAdi in forumhub.

rAga: udayaravicandrike ; caturaSra dhruva tALa

P: manOnmani mAmavatu - May manOnmani protect me;mAnasOllAsini- She Who enjoys in the mind(OR gives joy to the mind).

AP: mahAdEva mOhini- She That attracts mahAdEva; madhurAnagara nivAsini She Who resides in the city of madhrA
mahiShabhaNDa tripurAsura pramukha mada bhanjani - She Who destroyed the arrogance of the likes of mahiShAsura, bhaNDAsura
mahArAj~ni- Queen; mahAdEvi; mahAmAnini- The greatest of ladies; mAdhavi; mAtangi- daughter of matanga

SrImahArAj~ni is the 2nd name in the sahasranAma. It iincludes 3 of the pancadaSAkSharas within it.
mahAdEvi- As She has a form tha is mahat & immeasurable, she is mahAdEvi. mahA also means pUje in samskRta and as She is One worthy of worship, She is mahAdEvi. Here is a quote from dEvI purANa

bRhadasya SarIram yadapramEyam pramANatah
dhAturmahEti pUjAyAm mahAdEvI tatah smRtA "

Also she is the Consort of mahAdEva and hence mahAdEvi.

SrIpuravAsini She Who resides in SrIpuara(SrIcakra. Asa an aside, tiruvAyUr is also called SrIpura); SrIvidyA; kaivalyadAyini- She Who releases one from all ties.
SrI girISakAmini - She that loves the Lord of the mountain (kailAsanAtha siva); SrI SaSiSEkhara mOdini- She That pleases the Lord who wears the moon;
SrI durgAmbikAdyamartyAdi - Sri durgAmbikA +Adi+ amartya+Adi vanditA- She who is worshipped by durgA and other suras etc; SrI lalitA

If it is taken as durgAmbikAryamartyAdi vanditA, it could be split as
durgAmbikA+ Arya+martyAdi vandtA- She Who is worshipped by civilized people (Or the natives of Aryavarta) .

SrIkarOdayaravicandrikA prakASitA- She Who bestows all riches and goodies and shines with the radiance of the rising sun(candrikA means splendour/radiance);
harivirincAdi samsEvita- She Who is served by viShNu and brahma; hiraNmaya kamalapadA- She with golden lotus feet; paradEvatA- The Highest of the high

drshrikaanth

#109  Postby drshrikaanth » 07 Nov 2005 15:46

drshrikaanth

udayaravicandrike is a janya of the 9th mELa, dhuni bhinnaShaDja/dhEnuka. mudduvenkaTamakhi and SSP say the same. I dont know why Sathyavathi says it is a janya of kOkilapriya. It is a ubhaya krama auDava upAnga janya.
Scale SG2M1PN3S* |S*NPMGS ||

Many people still confuse this rAga with SuddhadhanyAsi and mix up the names. SuddhadhanyAsi has N2. MD`s "SrI guruguhumUrtE" is a beautiful kRti as is the one we are dicussing. N3 and G2 are very important swaras in this rAga and have to be emphasized. M is less prominent as compared to Suddhadhanyasi IMHO. If one looks at the swarasthAnas, this rAga is very close to nATa. G2=R3 avarOhaNa is identical and ArOHhaNa is silar except that G3 is missing here along with the D3 which is very rare even in nATa. But the important differences are the handling of the 2 swaras G and N. R3 is always sung with a gamaka from S below it as SR~~ or "SRSR". While G2 is sung with a gamaka from M above as "MGMG" Also N in this rAga can be held as a plain note while in nATa it has an upward gamaka reaching S*.

This kRti is brisk and conveys the beautiful rAga well. G has been correctly emphasized. I also found the anupallavi part "mahArAJ~ni mahAdEvi, mahAmAnini, mAdhavi, mAtangi" very catch. The recurrence of mahA as well as each word starting offbeat sounds nice. The rAgamudre has been incorporated in the sAhitya much the same way as dIkshitar has done (AtmOdaya ravicandrikA).
MD`s SrI guruguhamUrtE is more viLamba than this krti. Also N3 is more prominent in that kRti (e.g yOginI). Otherwise, I did not find much difference.

Here is SRJ`s udayaravicandrike (from a lecdem posted earlier on x-drive)

http://rapidshare.de/files/3885714/03ud ... a.mp3.html

Coolkarni
Lets have the next one.

drshrikaanth

#110  Postby arunk » 07 Nov 2005 15:46

arunk

dr.shrikkanth/others

Is Tyagaraja's krithi (enta nErcinA) composed in this raga structure (i.e. as per manuscripts etc.)? I thought it appears in records as udayaravicandrikA and not suddha dhanyAsi. But it is sung like the latter today right?

Arun

arunk

#111  Postby coolkarni » 07 Nov 2005 15:50

coolkarni

http://rapidshare.de/files/3888725/Rish ... i.mp3.html

raja chandra.
Several links to details about Prof Ramratnam have been posted on the thread on Musicians rarely heard.thanks to all of you.
.Is there any possibility of us hearing more stuff from these stalwarts.Have we missed out on any other big names....

coolkarni

#112  Postby kartik » 07 Nov 2005 15:50

kartik_krish

Thanks a lot 'Cool'Karni for uploading this great composition.

IMHO,this is one of the very best compositions composed by His Highness musically.The entire juice of Rishabhapriya has been brought to the forefront,especially the pallavi.The madhyamakala is breathtaking.

This composition is certainly worthy of qualifying as a main piece in concerts.What is also very interesting is that Rishabhapriya has been treated extremely brilliantly and very differently when compared to 'Mara ratipriyam', 'Mahatmule' or 'Mahima Takkinsuko' or even 'Gananaya Desika'.

I have another rendition of this kriti(which I reckon is by Rudrapattinam brothers, which is quite express speed as compared to this relaxed rendering by Shankar) which is also very good.The notation is very different. I shall upload the same soon.

DRS,what is 'Aparoksha Gnana' mean?Also,what is the significance of Bhuvaneshawari in Srividya?There is also a reference to Durvasa in this kriti?What is the anecdote?

kartik

#113  Postby abadri » 07 Nov 2005 15:50

abadri

Responding to a request for kumudakriyA. Here's TNS singing ardhanAreeswaram:-
http://rapidshare.de/files/3896888/TNS- ... A.mp3.html

abadri

#114  Postby drshrikaanth » 07 Nov 2005 15:51

drshrikaanth

This has been sung by S.Shankar.
sAhitya

rAga: RShabhapriya ; khaNDatripuTa tALa

SrI cAmuNDESvari pAlayamAm |
SrI rAjarAjESvari bhuvanESvari ||P||

SrI vidyE aparOkSha j~nAna manOnukUlE |
SrI kaNThadayitE j~nAna kriyEcchASakti sahitE
ananta guNa SIlE ||AP||

dUrvAsa mahAmuni hRttOShakari |
durgASabda bOdhita vijayESvari |
pUrvAdi saptasamudra pavitrakari |
pUrNa candra kalAdhari kRSOdari |
parvata rAjakumAri pApavimOcanakari lOpAmudrA Sankari |
parvakAlArcita SrI mahAtripura sundari RShabha priya rAga mOdakari ||C||

drshrikaanth

#115  Postby drshrikaanth » 07 Nov 2005 15:51

drshrikaanth

rAga: RShabhapriya ; khaNDatripuTa tALa

SrI cAmuNDESvari pAlayamAm -Protect me SrI cAmuNDESVar|
SrI rAjarAjESvari- reigning Queen of all kings and Lords; bhuvanESvari - Queen of the 14 worlds (I am not aware of any special significane of bhvanESvari in SrIvidyA)

SrI vidyE; aparOkSha j~nAna manOnukUlE - parOkSha is that which is not seen(substituted/proxy so aparOkSha is that which is evident and directly seen (Not unseen or indirect). She facilitaes the mind to gain aparOkSha knwldge/wisdom.
|
SrI kaNThadayitE wife of Siva; j~nAna kriyEcchASakti sahitE- She with the sakti traya.
ananta guNa SIlE- She with countless/endless good atributes.

dUrvAsa mahAmuni hRttOShakari - She that gives joy to the sage dUrvAsa (dUrvAsa is one of the acknowledged prominent SrividyA upAsakAs)
durgASabda bOdhita vijayESvari- The vijayESvari That is taught/known by the word durgA.

1-There are 2 (at least) explanations for the name durgA.
Se is acclaimed as durgA as she killed a powerful asura named durga

tattraivaca vadhiShyAmi durgamAkhyAm mahAsuram |
durgAdEvIti vikhyAtam tanmE nAma bhaviShyati ||
(mArkaNDEya purANa, lakShmI tantra of pancarAtra)

2-As She rescued indra and other dEvas and helped them overcome unconquerable enemies/obstacles, She is called durgA.

tAritA ripusankaTE dEvAh SakrAdayO EnatEna durgA prakIrtitA ||
(dEvIpurANa)

pUrvAdi saptasamudra pavitrakari- She Who purifies/make holy th seven seas(oceans).
pUrNa candra kalAdhari- She That wears the full moon;
Note cArucandrakalAdharA, catuSSaShThi kalamayi etc in the sahasranAma.
kRSOdari-She witha slim waist/abdomen
parvata rAjakumAri -The daughter of the king among mountains(himavat parvata);pApavimOcanakari - She That destroys all sins;
lOpAmudrA- lOpAmudra is the wife of agastya who is also among the foremost SrIvidyA upasakas. It is also a name of dEvi itself.

As she was pleased by the worship of lOpAmudrA She Herself was called lOpAmudrA.
agastya patnyA lOpAkhyamudrAyAH paramESvarI |
prasanna tvAdiyam dEvI lOpAmudrEti gIyatE ||
( tripurA siddhAnta.)
lOpAmudrA is also a name for the pancadaSI mantra

Sankari
parvakAlArcita SrI mahAtripura sundari- mahAtripurasundarI that is worshipped during the parvakAla(periodic change of moon).
RShabha priya rAga mOdakari - She That is pleased by the RShabhapriya rAga.

drshrikaanth

#116  Postby drshrikaanth » 07 Nov 2005 15:52

drshrikaanth

coolkarni
You may post the next one while I dicuss about the musical aspects of this kRti.

drshrikaanth

#117  Postby drshrikaanth » 07 Nov 2005 15:52

drshrikaanth

RShabhapriya is the 62nd mELa. It is called ratipriya by venkaTamakhi & dIkShitar school. The scales for the 2 are the same with a few viSeSha vakra prayOgas in the latter.
Scale SR2G3M2PD1N2S* |SNDPMGRS ||
It is the pratimadhyama of cArukESi and has kalyANi chAye in pUrvAnga and ShaNmukhapriya chAye in uttarAnga. But that is not to say this rAga has no melodic entity of its own. Much to the contrary, this a very beautiful raga yet no fully explored. It gives rise to bhakti and karuNA rasa. This is particularly strong in the uttarAnga while the pUrvAnga brings about some calm/samAdhAna. G, M and N are the jIvaswaras.

This paricular kRti is very beautiful and clearly oDeyar has explored and helped in demarcating and extending the limits of the rAga`s expanse. The stately viLamba pace has helped this. And of course, Shankar`s singing has done justice to it. There is a lots of Rshabha used in this kRti as also the prayOga "PDM". Also Rshabha & pancama have been used prominently as the nyasa. There is a good exploration of the pUrvAnga with some kalyANi-like prayOgas (nothing wrong with it!).

There is an excellent "ghana naya dESika" by U.Srinivas on nadaanubhooti website.

Coolkarni
Can you post some other Rshabhapriya/ratipriya renditions please? There are hardly any on websites. Hopefully mahAtmule and MD`s mAraratipriyam. I have heard G.N.Nagmani Srinath sing mahAtmule live. Very nice indeed.

drshrikaanth

#118  Postby coolkarni » 07 Nov 2005 15:52

coolkarni

here is a very nice one by TRS
http://rapidshare.de/files/3926403/05a- ... a.mp3.html

: http://rapidshare.de/files/3926696/05b- ... a.mp3.html

will try to fish out a Kalyanraman beauty later.
also trying to find out a noncommercial track by MLV.
has kalyANi chAye in pUrvAnga and ShaNmukhapriya chAye in uttarAnga. But that is not to say this rAga has no melodic entity of its own.

Please do give such tips wherever possible.Great use for kansens like me.

coolkarni

#119  Postby kartik » 07 Nov 2005 15:53

kartik_krish

DRS,thanks for the post.

I have uploaded another version of SriChamundeswari by Rudrapattinam Bros(I think so,correct me if I am in the wrong),may be a concert recording.It is a very nice rendering and also has a different notation to the one Shankar has rendered.The quality of the recording is not very great.

http://rapidshare.de/files/3928078/SriC ... ri.rm.html

AIR Bangalore had once broadcast a composition of Veena Seshanna,IIRC,in Rishabhapriya which is dedicated to Lord Venkatesha.It was not particularly rendered on the Veena.Lakshmanji,can you post the lyrics of the same?

Will also upload 'Mahima Takkinsuko' of Tyagaraja soon.

kartik

#120  Postby coolkarni » 07 Nov 2005 15:54

coolkarni

one more rishabhapriya , this time by kalyanraman

http://rapidshare.de/files/3939379/Gana ... a.mp3.html

coolkarni

#121  Postby coolkarni » 07 Nov 2005 15:54

coolkarni

#122  Postby Raja Chandra » 07 Nov 2005 15:54

Raja Chandra

#123  Postby drshrikaanth » 07 Nov 2005 15:56

drshrikaanth

karthik_krish
It is rudrapaTNa brothers-Tyagaraja, Taranatha- nephews of Srikantan.
The major difference between their vesion and that of Shankar is in the pace. By that i mean not just relative speed but in the laya. Shankar sings it in 2 kaLe khaNDa tripuTa tALa while the brothers sing in 1 kaLe. That is what makes the 2 appear so different. Otherwise, the notation itself is not so drastically different. Of course one cannot manoeuvre sme of the gamakas very well while singing in madhyama kAla.

Coolkarni
The RShabhapriya pieces you posted are great. But no mahAtuleor mAraratipriyam? On a sidetrack, how can one convert clips to Real player files? It takes much less space.

Raja Chandra
thanks for the notation. idu yAra barahavo?

drshrikaanth

#124  Postby cmlover » 07 Nov 2005 15:57

cmlover

DRS
follow the link
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/
download and install it. Then visit the plug-in section to install realaudio converter. You can convert any MP3 file into realaudio (but the reverse is prohibited). GOOD LUCK!

cmlover

#125  Postby drshrikaanth » 07 Nov 2005 15:57

drshrikaanth

I am posting the sAhitya.

|| pAhimAm varalakShmi ||

rAga: guNDakriya ; khaNDatripuTa tALa

pAhimAm SrI varalakShmi kAmAkShi || P||

mahiShAsurAdi ripukula vidhvamsini |
mahAmahimaSAlini mahAgaNapati guhajanani mahAbalAdrivAsini ||AP||

Ehi vArijamukhi tribhuvanESvari |
dEhi mE mudam SrIvidyAdhISvari|
aihikAmuShmika phalapradESvari |